6.5 saum build

Stavi300RUM

Hello! A 6.5 saum build is in the horizon! What components are you all using? Barrel and length, stock, reamer used, bottom metal? Im planning on using a rem 700 as that I have and getting a PTG bolt with the mag face.
I'm planning on running 140 Berger hybrid exclusively.
What else am I missing?

What we need to know is your intended use of the rifle. A longrange hunters' needs are very different from a competition tactical match shooter. So give us some details on your intended use and we'll be able to provide some appropriate advice.

What we need to know is your intended use of the rifle. A longrange hunters' needs are very different from a competition tactical match shooter. So give us some details on your intended use and we'll be able to provide some appropriate advice.

Trebark, my intended use will be hunting and some target shooting. Want to be able to make hits at 1200 on targets and 800 max on game. Weight of the rifle and scope would be preferred to 10-11 lbs. I hunt with a 300RUM that is right at 15.5 lbs and BOY! it's heavy to pack around steep ridges all day!

Here's an example of a 10lb rifle that encompass many of the suggestions I would make for you and this particular build.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

You would want a better optic with higher magnification. Depending on your preference on a stock, you might want a vertical grip stock....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-7saum-hawk-hill-custom-135561/

I really like the looks of your 7mm saum! That's the ideal look I'm after but about 3-4 pound less. I may have to look for a lightweight stock that someone makes.

Mine will be a Surgeon 591 repeater, Manners T2, Surgeon bottom metal, Brux barrel #14 (ordering it tomorrow) 1:8 twist finished at 24", Thunderbeast Ultra 7 suppressor, topped with a Nightforce ATACR 5-25.

Once the barrel comes in, it and the action will be going to GAP to be built. I will be shooting either the 140 hybrid or the new 143 ELX-D.

This rifle will satisfy most of my shooting and hunting needs. Depending on how the 143 performs, I might have to build a 7-300 Norma Imp to shoot the 195 hybrid before an elk hunt in a couple years.

Mine will be a Surgeon 591 repeater, Manners T2, Surgeon bottom metal, Brux barrel #14 (ordering it tomorrow) 1:8 twist finished at 24", Thunderbeast Ultra 7 suppressor, topped with a Nightforce ATACR 5-25.

Once the barrel comes in, it and the action will be going to GAP to be built. I will be shooting either the 140 hybrid or the new 143 ELX-D.

This rifle will satisfy most of my shooting and hunting needs. Depending on how the 143 performs, I might have to build a 7-300 Norma Imp to shoot the 195 hybrid before an elk hunt in a couple years.

That will be a nice build! A 7-300 Norma imp would be pretty nice as well. It would be interesting to see the ballistics with that!

I really like the looks of your 7mm saum! That's the ideal look I'm after but about 3-4 pound less. I may have to look for a lightweight stock that someone makes.

Knew the 260 and the 7saum would be heavier than you want to build but could inspire some ideas. If you built something similar to the 280 but went with a vertical grip stock, you'd be about where you want the rifle to weigh and it would do what you want.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.