6.5 saum build exploration.

Daveinjax

I'm considering building a 6.5 saum on one of my Winchester wsm short actions. At this point what will sway the decision one way or the other is what I can achieve velocity wise with a 6.5 160gr matrix vld. I can run out to a 3.04 col. in the mag and that puts the base at the shoulder/body junction. It will be a hunting rifle so I will run it hot. 26" 8 twist 5r. What can I realistically expect to generate ?

If they are getting 3100fps in the 6.5 Sherman (shorten 7 SAUM case) then logic says you will get that with the full length version and 160 matrix in the long magazine box that you have.
In real life my 7 SAUM will push a 168 Berger w/ a long barrel at accuracy velocity at 2850-2950 fps and a larger bore size means more velocity given barrel length etc are the same. The 7 SAUM will easily push a 140 bullet to 3150fps but not a 160 gr bullet.

I hope so because I just ordered an 8 twist Benchmark barrel. Now I just have to hunt down the rest of the project. Reamer , dies , and brass.

I run the 160's out of a 6.5wsm. +3100fps was very doable but my accuracy node was right at 3100. With the WSM having a larger case size, your pressures will be higher, but you should be able to get pretty close. It'll depend on your barrel.

t

It's all ordered.#4 6 flute 8 twist Benchmark to finish at 26" . 6.5 saum reamer with a .178 freebore . McMillan Edge stock . 142gr , 150gr , and 160gr Matrix vlds coming. Redding S type dies. I have 3.045" magazine coal capacity in my m70 wsm action.

Rock on, you should be good to go. The Winny action is a nice twist. Had the 150's came out before the 160's, I probably would have went that route.

t

I know that there's all kinds of reasons to use another action but I like the classic ss actions. It's the equivalent of hotrodding an old Detroit muscle car. There's nothing like the sound of a hopped up pushrod V8 and there's nothing like the sound and feel of a CFR action.

I know that there's all kinds of reasons to use another action but I like the classic ss actions. It's the equivalent of hotrodding an old Detroit muscle car. There's nothing like the sound of a hopped up pushrod V8 and there's nothing like the sound and feel of a CFR action.

You got that right, big block preferably :cool: Nothing wrong with the CRF, I think it's a great choice.

t

I'm considering building a 6.5 saum on one of my Winchester wsm short actions. At this point what will sway the decision one way or the other is what I can achieve velocity wise with a 6.5 160gr matrix vld. I can run out to a 3.04 col. in the mag and that puts the base at the shoulder/body junction. It will be a hunting rifle so I will run it hot. 26" 8 twist 5r. What can I realistically expect to generate ?

Well it sounds like a fun project.. not going to knock the 6.5 RSAUM it's a great cartridge, but I think if I'd went your direction I would have chambered it for the 6.5 Remington Magnum.. You have everything there to make it do the job.
Cheer's

Well it sounds like a fun project.. not going to knock the 6.5 RSAUM it's a great cartridge, but I think if I'd went your direction I would have chambered it for the 6.5 Remington Magnum.. You have everything there to make it do the job.
Cheer's

Just for conversation sake, what would prompt you to run the Rem Mag over the SAUM?

t

The belt ? The thinner and longer case so the base can stick further down into the case ? If it weren't for the fire forming I'd be making a 6.5 Sherman ss.

Just for conversation sake, what would prompt you to run the Rem Mag over the SAUM?

t

Well no major reason(s) there both great 6.5 platforms. They both run 69.0 to 71.0 grains of water give or take depending on brass and the chambers.. I believe, the RSAUM has a 30 deg and the Rem Mag 25 deg shoulder, the length is pretty close.. Perhaps it's just nostalgia, or it could be the fact that all the 6.5 Rem Mag I've used over the years have been over the top accurate, with great performance, and good brass is still out there, which means no re-sizing and fire-forming brass out of .7mm or .30 RSAUM'..., not that, that's a really big deal. I think the world of the .300 RSAUM cartridge, shot it for years in LR matches, it's a great design. By the time I stopped most of the LR stuff I was just about to go back to the 6.5 Remington Mag because of the newer bullets and other components available. Truthfully the 6.5 Remington Magnum is a way underestimated cartridge, mainly do to lack of understanding by some, of the real potential of it.

Just might thought on the it.
Cheer's

Are you running short action or long? What kind of velocity?

t

I like the 700 LA if your feeding from the magazine with long bullets set out. With that said a SA's works just great for single feed as in a match rifle. Most loads are in reach of the .264 Win mag... just not quite due too obvious reasons. The main thing is, it will reach 3000 fps plus with most bullet weights in a 26" inch plus barrel. I also think it a better all around performer, going up and down the bullet weight scale, and powders.

Cheer's

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.