6.5 RUM

malcarjeb

I was wondering if anyone has any info. on the 6.5 RUM? I think Allen has a 6.5 that might also be close to the RUM, and that data might work. Maybe fiftydriver could help. Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LTHunt, I believe Kirbys 6.5 AX is a 300 Dakota case necked to 6.5 and with less taper and 40* shoulder. It probably has about 20grs less capacity than the RUM case and most likely a lot better barrel life than a 6.5 RUM. ( please correct me if I got it wrong Kirby)--7mmRHB

LTHunt,

I have two 6.5mm magnums in the herd. As mentioned the 6.5mm AX is based on the 300 Dakota case, necked down, shoulder sharpened, not quite to 40 degree angle and body taper reduced. This round will get you 3750 fps with a 100 gr pill, 3500 fps with a 120 gr and 3300 fps with a 140 gr class bullet all in a 26" barrel length.

My other round is the 6.5mm Allen Magnum which is a 338 RUM necked down, sharpened shoulder angle and body taper reduced. The capacity of my 6.5mm AM is actually a couple grains larger then the standard 6.5mm RUM based on the longer 7mm RUM case.

Performance numbers are 4100 fps with a 100 gr pill, +3800 fps with a 120 gr, +3550 fps with a 140 gr pill and 3300 fps with a 160 class bullet all in a 30" pipe.

Any round with this size of case capacity and this small of a bore diameter can be seriously effected by powder bridging. For this reason I recommend only ball powders be used in my two rounds.

As mentioned barrel life will be limited which is also why I recommend my chamberings only for big game hunting rifles where high volume shooting is not common or at least should not be common!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For that purpose, useful barrel life will be for many, many seasons!! For some shooters a lifetime.

I would like to say that if you get into a round of this extreme range, be prepared for some issues that will need to be delt with. There is a cost for extreme performance and being an exprienced handloader is a must and paying very close attention to what is happening with load development is also a MUST.

Things can go from normal to dangerous very fast as you climb the performance scale. They work great if you pay attention but will bite you if you do not!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby does Wildcat bullets make a line for the 6.5mm?
I was thining about a 6.5-300win. 28-30 barrel for shooting the 14class bullets. My only bump is that I haven't seen to may match style bullet fly to well past 3000+fps.

Sorry to but in on sombodies post , But I was wondering is the velocity differance between say the RUM cased 6.5 and say the larger belted mags realy that much more if equal time and work is put into the loading and the barrel is in the 28" range

Thanks fiftydriver, that is some very good information. Its good to hear from someone who knows everyone is not a match shooter and looks at a wildcat as a hunting round instead of a match round. I know its hard on barrels. But its fast and fun and to me thats what wildcating is about! I love reloading and hunting and thats what this round will be used for. with no more that 10 to 15 shots a year it will last long enough for me. Thanks again for your expert advise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JDJones,

Richard offers an extensive line of 6.5mm bullets up to and including a huge 169.5 gr ULD RBBT. Other then that there is a 120, 125, 130, 135, 142, 150, 160 and 165 gr. All offered with either a 10 or ULD ogive and either Flat base or RBBT.

He also offers the same bullets from 120 to 160 in his flat based Bonded Core hunting bullets.

As far as velocity goes, it depends on who you talk to and what they are shooting. I have talked with guys that are loading the 264 Win Mag up hot enough to match my 6.5mm Allen Xpress /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif!!

Still on average, I would list the common 6.5mm rounds as follows with a 142 class bullet in a 28" barrel.

6.5-284........2950 fps
6.5-06 AI......3050 fps
6.5 WSM........3100 fps
264 Win Mag....3200 fps
6.5-300 Win....3250 fps
6.5 STW........3350 fps
6.5 AX.........3350 fps
6.5 AM.........3475 fps

These are of course general numbers. Anyone can load up any of these rounds to jump several spots in this order but using relatively sane chamber pressures in all I feel this is a realistic velocity representation for the rounds listed.

The 6.5/7mm RUM should be nearly identical to my slightly shorter 6.5 Allen Mag as they have nearly identical case capacity.

In my opinion, as you go up in case capacity with this caliber and the 257 for that matter, you really need to start adding on the bullet weight to see the advantage of the larger case capacity. I have not done alot of testing with the 6.5mm AM, at least not nearly as much as my 257 version but I can tell you with the 257 AM, unless your shooting a bullet of 130 gr or more, your really better off with an STW class round.

That said, if you pour on the bullet weight and use the 156 gr ULD RBBT, the larger case capacity starts to pull more of an advantage, a full 175 to 200 fps over the long belted magnum wildcat.

I see no reason why the 6.5mm rounds would be any different.

For a comp rifle, I would personally never go over the size of say a 6.5 WSM or 264 Win Mag and use bullets in the 140 to 150 gr class.

Just my opinion!!

Kirby Allen(50)

LThunt,

With a big game rifle we can accept a shorter barrel life then with a varmint or target rifle. As such we can push a bit harder for higher performance as well.

I personally feel that the best way to add performance is not just adding grains of powder to a certain bullet weight but instead to add more grains of powder and also add more bullet weight. The big rounds allow us to do this.

What we get may not be a huge increase in muzzle velocity compared to standard weight bullets but when you get the same velocity but with much heavier, much higher BC bullets, things really gain performance down range.

The heavier the bullets the better these big capacities work as well so get some heavies and give er hell!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I got some info, Barrel makers love em

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.