6.5 Remington Magnum

Greg Duerr

Does anyone have any experiance with the 6.5mm Remington Magnum..........

will it work through a short action with the berger bullets/

Does anyone have any experiance with the 6.5mm Remington Magnum..........will it work through a short action with the berger bullets/

Berger offers 6.5mm boattail bullets from 100 to 140 grains. The 6.5 Rem Mag has a 2.170" case and a 2.805 SAAMI OAL. That's .635" of OAL minus case length. It's got a .261" long neck. Even the shortest 100 grain Berger boatail's shank will extend past the neck shoulder junction of the case if loaded to the SAMMI OAL. There's no law preventing seating that deep, but I wouldn't for both accuracy and safety reasons.

The 6.5 Rem Mag has an identical case length and close to the same case capacity as the 6.5x284 Win which has an excellent record in 1000 yard competition shooting VLD bullets. But the 6.5x284 has a 3.228" SAAMI OAL giving 1.058" OAL minus case length. It's not a short action cartridge.

I recently purchased a custom 6.5 Rem Mag and some Berger 130grain VLD bullets to work up some loads. I was wondering about the OAL as the 2.805 was way to short f. I set one bullet at 3.1 and it is still not engaging the lands. Any info on loads that have worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.