6.5 remington mag

genecole

I am looking at getting a 24 inch semi-heaby barrel in 6.5 rem mag for my encore. i will use it for hunting deer, hogs, etc., in the texas hill country. just wondering what you guys think about this caliber. i have no experience with the 6.5's. thanks

Why not a 6.5 based on the WSM or RSAUM? Just get rids of that belt, for what that's worth.

You would also get very similar performance from the 6.5-284. So another thing to consider.

Jerry

jerry,
i am looking at buying the barrel off gunbroker.com. it is already built and i cant afford a cutom one.
Gene

Gene

I am based in the UK, and I am about to acquire a 6.5 x 68.

It is a 6.5 based on the 8 x 68 RWS case but necked down. I also have little experience of the 6.5, and was going to post until you beat me to it!! Looking at the loading Data, the Rem Mag,Win Mag, and 68 all come out very close, so there should be little between them. However, the 6.5 bullet in the heavier loadings has some high readings for sectional density. It should be a good penetrator.

I look forward to the replies. I am intersted in size and distance of game that it is felt can properly be taken with the 6.5 bullet.

Regards

AWB

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.