6.5 Rem Mag, who has one?

I have one on a 40X action. Won a barrel from E.R. Shaw several years ago at the Allegheny Sniper Challenge. Before everybody turns up there nose. Here is the story:

Won the barrel, had a magnum BF 40X action, called Shaw and for $75 additional I had them install a Remington Contour SS barrel in 6.5 Remington Magnum. I wanted ballistics of the 6.5X284, did not want to spend the money for a new bolt.

The barrel turned out to be very good. Blackhills Shooters had Remington brass which is made every 5-6 years. I bought 1000 cases. Shot some 600 yard F-Class with the rifle and shot a X when I held there.

I did not expect the barrel to last as long as it has. Currently have 1850 rounds down range. In the last year i shot it hot more than once. Barrel is still shooting 3/4 inch at 100 yards.

I originally tried R-19 but had hangfires with regular CCI LRPs. Moved to WLR without further problems. I had a bunch of AA3100 and developed a load that was sub-MOA at 200 yards. Burned up the 3100 and tried IMR4350, which is slower & more accurate that the 3100 in the high-mileage barrel. Also tried some Superformance but the groups were larger than the IMR4350.

Shot it yesterday. Barrel is shooting better than my 6.5-06 did which lasted 1792 before it started blowing up 142 gr SMKs, or my 7mm Rem Magnum 40X barrel which lasted 1600 rounds before blowing up 168 gr SMKs.

It is a very fun but neglected caliber.

Good luck

Jerry

Both my son in law and 14 year old grandson shoot one with RL 26 and 140 Bergers in the neighborhood of 3150Fps.

Rem 700 long action, 28" rock

147 eld m rl 23, worked rem brass
3030fps Es 8
Only shot it to 700y under 3 in groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.