6.5 Rem Mag Questions

coyotenut

I am ordering a new rifle and I am thinking of having it chambered in 6.5 rem mag. What are your thoughts of this cartridge? My goal is a dedicated coyote rifle for long range coyotes(5-600yards). Are there any problems with this cartridge? Accuracy, feeding issues, etc.? I am thinking of primarily using 120gr Nosler BTs.
I ran the numbers through JBM and it appears to be flat shooting and relatively hard hitting, close to 257bee or 264 win mag. I know there may be other, better choices but I kinda want something different. I also handload so I am not worried about factory ammunition. I appreciate any input. Thank you!

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 Rem Mag, But you might want a better BC bullet, You wanting to keep the hides? Or just lower the populaion? But at 500-600 A higher BC bullet really doesn't come into play, but you may want to extend your range some day.

Nothing wrong with the 6.5 Rem Mag, But you might want a better BC bullet, You wanting to keep the hides? Or just lower the populaion? But at 500-600 A higher BC bullet really doesn't come into play, but you may want to extend your range some day.

Midwest Hunter,
Do you mean a better BC bullet in 6.5 or go to a different caliber altogether? I kind of want to save the hides, and I also would like to hunt deer with it.

Hey coyotenut, I have a 6.5 rem mag that was a rebarrel of a long action 300 win mag and a friend liked it so he had one done also. Mine was a Browning BBR 300 win mag with a detachable magazine and I put a 26" Douglas #4 contour 1 in 8 barrel on it. His was a rebarrel of a Weatherby Vanguard 300 win mag and he went with a 26" Shilen #4. Both of the rifles feed great, I would say even better than the longer 300 win mag cases.

First question would be; are you going to have it on a short action or long action. If at all possible I would recommend the long action. In a short action those looong bullets will intrude on your powder capacity and reduce your capabilities, not to mention short actions can have feeding problems.

I have shot 140 Sierra Game Kings, 140 gr Hornady Interlocks, 130 gr Nosler Accubonds and 130 gr Scirrocco II's, all with great accuracy. Right now I am shooting 130 gr Scirrocco II's at 3200 fps with RL17 cause they are tough bullets that won't fail.

Some pics

HPIM1163.jpg

DSCN1248.jpg

WORK UP TO ANY OF THESES LOADS

DSCN0373.jpg

DSCN0357.jpg

300yds.jpg

1211-1.jpg

I am ordering a new rifle and I am thinking of having it chambered in 6.5 rem mag. What are your thoughts of this cartridge? My goal is a dedicated coyote rifle for long range coyotes(5-600yards). Are there any problems with this cartridge? Accuracy, feeding issues, etc.? I am thinking of primarily using 120gr Nosler BTs.
I ran the numbers through JBM and it appears to be flat shooting and relatively hard hitting, close to 257bee or 264 win mag. I know there may be other, better choices but I kinda want something different. I also handload so I am not worried about factory ammunition. I appreciate any input. Thank you!
It's a great caliber but there are barrel life issues with it, the .264wm and the 6.5x284.

You can get within about 150-200fps using the .260 Rem instead and eliminate the problems with short barrel life due to throat erosion.

After several years of making my mind up about a new 6.5 for the same applications you are looking at I went with the .260 myself and it was very smart choice in that I couldn't be happier with the results.

Might I suggest the Lapua Scenar 123grn or 140. They are known for not opening, but are deadly accurate. I have a feeling this would help protect the hides, give you maximum accuracy, and save the pelts.

Tank

Midwest Hunter,
Do you mean a better BC bullet in 6.5 or go to a different caliber altogether? I kind of want to save the hides, and I also would like to hunt deer with it.

Yes but if u want to save the pelts I would prob choose a bullet that is going to stay together best. You might consider going withhold 6mn Rem mag. Little better on the yotes and will work for deer

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.