6.5 Prometheus (6.5 PRO) 140 gr. 3700 fps

I'd much rather have some crazy performance than a slow coach of a .264 with a barrel that will out-live me :) It's not the end of the world to replace a barrel. Plus I'll never be firing multiple shots in quick succession. The barrel will always have time to cool, which I'm led to believe extends its life.

I'd much rather have some crazy performance than a slow coach of a .264 with a barrel that will out-live me :) It's not the end of the world to replace a barrel. Plus I'll never be firing multiple shots in quick succession. The barrel will always have time to cool, which I'm led to believe extends its life.

You're right, keeping it cool will help. I also believe this cartridge would be a prime candidate for both a Melonited bore & HBN coating of the projectiles.

t

You're right, keeping it cool will help. I also believe this cartridge would be a prime candidate for both a Melonited bore & HBN coating of the projectiles.

t

I was definitely going to use HBN but I've never really looked at Melonite treatment. Just had a quick read about it now and it looks awesome! That's certainly a possibility!

Swamplord, have you actually fired this chambering? I don't ask you this because I'm disputing your claims but rather to see how user friendly it is overall. Muzzle blast powder selection and fouling. I have been using a 6.5 STW and really love it although I'll be the first to admit it can be a real A-HOLE at times too.

Pressure spikes, weird flyers, and with the real slow powders I get 80 FPS spreads. I assume it is because my 26" barrel is too short???

When I had this rifle built I suggested to the gunsmith that I may like to have my rifle chambered in 6.5 RUM or 6.71 Blackbird and he said no. It is a lighter weight gun so I'm happy but I still wonder what could have been. On the other hand I'm debating whether I should double up for my heavy LR rifle and stay with STW for simplicity sake or go BIG! LOL

Tim

Interesting thread... have you actually fired it with 3700 fps? Wondering what powder you used or are going to use. I'm thinking it will need an extremely slow burning powder else you will have a lot of empty case space. The 160 Matrix bullets would be good for this cartridge.

I receive a couple boxes of Matrix Ballistcs 160 gr VLD today. Right after I spent a little time looking for jam length I started to wonder what this bullet and the Prometheus could accomplish?

Rise up all you financially strudy wildcat fools and try one to inspire us! We wait breathlessly for your retun. (Who's been watching a little bit too much "lord of the rings?"):rolleyes::rolleyes:

Safe shooting,
Bilbo Baggins

ya, can't wait to get some of those 160's, called Marshall a few days ago, wanted 6 boxes he only had one available and it's on the way along with a box of his 210 gr 30 cal bullets for my newest wildcat the 300 Wolf (my 338 Wolverine necked down)

This thread died almost half a year ago due to lack of interest in the 6.5 Prometheus, I am surprised it was resurrected now, especially when there are several barrel safe 6.5 wildcats developed by LRH members that have generated a lot of interest...

I frankensteined the 6.5 PRO off my 7.62 PRO which is off the 300 Norma Mag and own the reamer and it has only been used once, when I get my other two barrels in and chambered, installed, headspaced, then reamer will be available to others....

No, I have not fired this cartridge yet, velocity is an estimate based on powder capacity and comparison to another cartridge with similar capacity ...

Rifle was completed quite some time ago, Dies were ordered in December and have been the sole delay in this project, I also was immersed in my other wildcats and time flew by but still no dies..
I spoke to Neil Jones recently, he assured me he will start on my dies first of June and should be done in 2 weeks time, more waiting !!

This cartridge was designed with the knowledge that barrel life will be limited, if one is inclined to dwell on barrel life, go bald worrying about it or become afflicted with bedwetting from bad dreams induced by the terror of less than 2k rounds of barrel life ... well , these little girls need not play with evil barrel consuming monster cartridges ... ( whew ! had to let that out, feel better now!)

all kidding aside,

no......this wildcat is not for high volume shooting, but who cares ? I believe barrels are threaded and screwed on specifically so they can be replaced at any time, otherwise they would be welded on tight
my reason for it's developement ? something cool for my 13 yr old daughter to kill moose and wolves with !

there are several ways to enhance the life of a barrel, my first barrel is for load developement, selecting appropriate propellants and fire forming brass, plus determining actual barrel life using nothing but WS2 coated bullets and a WS2 bore prep solution to coat the throat/rifling that delays the blowtorch effect allowing for more shots fired, imagine grabbing a hot pizza pan with bare hands vs gloved hands that are temporarily protected from heat , ... bad example I know, but hopefully y'all get it !
once a barrel starts showing signs of wear, set it back, rechamber and just as important cut 1/2" of barrel muzzle end and recrown, muzzle washout leads to poor accuracy even quicker than throat erosion ... but all that is old news, everybody on LRH knows all this .

my barrel has a 4" shank for setting back and 30" in length for powder burn and cutting back when needed, it would be a waste of time and money to go with a barrel less than 28" in this wildcat, it screams for the slowest powders, heavier longer high bc bullets and 30" and longer barrels, it may or may not live up to it's potential, may be too much of a good thing but somebody's gotta do it !

Hell, I'm already crunching numbers and necking down my 300 Wolf (500 Jeffery case) to .264" and naming it the 6.5 Zeuss ! imagine if ya can a 145 gr water capacity case, a 200 gr 1.0 bc 6.5 bullet at 3500 fps... hahahahaha... evil grin !

build it and they will come ! (eventually)

I won't even comment on barrel life, or lack thereof, because you don't care!:D The main thing is, this is what you do and you are having a lot of fun doing it! I'll say one thing, that 160 Matrix at around 3500' is going to be one tough long range pill to keep up with!. Go for it........rich

This cartridge was designed with the knowledge that barrel life will be limited, if one is inclined to dwell on barrel life, go bald worrying about it or become afflicted with bedwetting from bad dreams induced by the terror of less than 2k rounds of barrel life ... well , these little girls need not play with evil barrel consuming monster cartridges ... ( whew ! had to let that out, feel better now!)

One of the funniest (& true) statements I've read in a long time, well put.

Go big or go home.

t

Hey all,
Got an update on the 6.5 Prometheus ,

Neil Jones came through and I have my case forming dies, just need to fireform a few cases in my chamber (he wants 3 times fired cases) and he will finish up my loading dies to the thrice fired cases,

Have a fair supply of 160 gr Matrix ( thanks Marshal) 156 gr Norma Oryx, 144 gr FMJ Lapua, 142 gr SMK, 140 gr Accubond and 140 gr Berger VLD bullets along with RL 50, RL 33, RL 25, H 50 BMG and US 869 for the project

Originally I had this cartridge set up for my Sako TRGS and a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis but my wildcats on the 500 Jefferey case have dominated that realm....
since I had a blued Rem 700 in 300 Rum on hand which was considered for my 375 Mjolnir laying around, I had it chopped up and the 6.5 Prometheus is reborn once again !
I had my 29" 8.5 twist Brux bbl all finished and done up for the Sako and alas I had my smith chop the threaded portion off and rethread for the Rem 700 and rechamber, it is now around 27" and will be my fireforming and load developement barrel, I am gonna torch that sucker! haha

rifle specs .....

Rem 700 Mag blued action
McMillan M40A1/HTG Stock in Forest Camo
31" fluted 8 twist 5R Bartlein Light Palma contour barrel, brake machined into extra inch
27" fluted 8.5 twist Brux Rem Varmint contour barrel, brake machined into extra inch of bbl
Jewell trigger
Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm LRMOA2 long range scope
Nightforce 40 MOA base & Nightforce Ultra Lite 30mm scope rings

have some fireforming loads on hand and was gonna shoot today in the area of my out of town construction project but howling winds and blistering frigid temps only allowed me to snap a few pics and shooting session was bagged until a later date, most likely into the New Year sometime !

once I have range results and data I will post on this thread , along with pics of fireformed cases

pics taken with iphone 5s in Resurrection Bay, Seward Alaska at the "waterfall"
(rifle has the 31" Bartlein bbl)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 139
Congratulations! Looks like all you will need is a caribous address. You might want to salt your bullets so they won't spoil before you get to them:D Can't wait to see the field results........Rich

Sweet looking rifle! Probably the most powerful 6.5 on the planet. I'm guessing only the slowest of the powders you have listed will work very well with that volume to cal ratio. I think US869 and RL50 are your best bets.

I hope you got 2 barrels because by the time you're done with load development you'll be needing the second one. Yeah, I know, you're concerned about barrel life :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.