6.5 PRC Barrel Length (22" or 24")

Build a 20" 6.5 Sherman Short.
My 20" 6.5SS is outrunning almost every 24" 6.5PRC I have seen with my own eyes. Maybe not the internet warriors, but everyone I personally know who are pushing their PRCs pretty hard.
144 LR Hyb @ 3088fps or 156 Elite @ 2976fps.

"Aoudad", For the tiny extra weight of 2 more inches on the end of my barrel and the extra velocity (about +-100 ft. per second) I'd go with what Browning has decided upon.

Otherwise Have the velocity of a 24" 6.5 Creedmoor and then what's the point of having a 6.5 PRC??
Further Browning gave me a fast 1:7 twist to handle heavier bullets that the 6.5 PRC can utilize. I think Browning nailed the barrel specs and that's among several other reasons why I bought it.

Eric B.
I think the velocity difference between a 22 and 24" barrel is probably closer to 50 fps. I would prefer a shorter barrel just for maneuverability, and I typically hunt with a can. I think a 22" PRC is still gonna have more velocity than any length Creedmoor. I don't really understand why some people like to compare a short PRC to a long creedmoor when talking about a handy hunting rifle. If I had to choose a 20" PRC or a 26" Creedmoor that both shot the exact same velocity, the PRC would be a no brainer to me. If I want a long gun and high velocity, there are better options than either of these two.

I'm running a 6.5 PRC equipped with a 22" Proof and 143 ELDx @ 3025 fps with H1000. My barrel sped up significantly after ~300 rounds.
For comparison that's about 100fps different from my 26 running the same bullet with H1000, so the 25-35fps per inch holds again. A deer or elk will not tell the difference between 3025fps and 3120fps. Speaks highly to the efficiency of short fat cases. The WSMs show similar efficiency and I would bet little cases like BRs do as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.