6.5 grendel

JPRITT

anyone using a 6.5 gendal on here? I was thinking about building one out of a CZ 527. I have never accually even seen the proformance specs of one. it would be a varmit/small game rig. any thoughts or experiences?

I have an AA 6.5 Grendel and love mine. Ballistically, the SMK 123 calculates out to almost identical ballistics as the .308, but has about 1/2 the recoil.

With the wide variety of 6.5 bullets available it allows a lot of leeway for different loads.

I makes a very good 300 yard deer rifle with the right bullet, and a fair number of wild pigs have been dropped by it also.

I plan on using mine for ground squirrels, coyotes, etc. and the wide variety of bullets allows for easy changes from one to another.

I haven't seen a bolt gun in Grendel, but there are some out there, and the weakness of the AR bolts, a limiting factor in the AR platform, is gone in the bolt action rifles and will allow a much hotter round. You should easily exceed 3000 FPS with a bolt gun without problems.

I'm in Moses Lake and would be happy to let you shoot my Grendel if you are interested before you make the leap. It's in an AR platform, but it is the most enjoyable rifle I have ever shot.

Here's a graph demonstrating the Grendel vs. some .308 loads.

http://www.65grendel.com/graphics/grendelballistics.pdf

Bill

Last edited:
thanks B,

I think it would be an awesome round. I was thinking about using a Pac-nor 24 inch. As you you know it can get a little breezy in the wheat fields so i was thinking it would be good at bucking some wind when coyote huntin.

The BC's of the 6.5 bullets were the deciding factor for me over the 6.8, well, that and the fact that I like to be different!

Yep, it can get windy out there in the flatlands!!!

Let me know if I can help, and the offer stands to shoot if you get the chance!

Bill

6.5x47 is a great round, but has significantly more recoil than the Grendel, that's probably not a huge issue in one shot scenarios, but in ground squirrel, rock chuck, and multiple target hunting/shooting it creates some difficulty.

I certainly would consider it, though, in a bolt gun, because it does offer a little more reach.

Bill

the reason I wanted to go with the grendel is that it will also fit in my single stack mag for the CZ 527. so anthing bigger may be out of the question.

Ahh...that makes great sense!

It is a great round also, and really gets the job done for a ways out there!

Using the Lapua 123's it bucks the wind pretty doggone well, too!

Bill

Have ben concidering a Grendel upper for the AR but a CZ 527 might make a better speedgoat gun for someone with a soft shoulder. I sure like my CZ in 223= its a prairie dogs nightmare!
Anybody know a good CZ smith ?

That's my understanding as well. However, people have had problems with necking up some of the PPC cases, Silver State Armory is one that has given some people problems.

Rumor is that there should be a domestic case soon.

Bill

you can already buy lapua brass for the Grendel by the box of 100 for around 55 bucks through midway. And Alexander Arms loads it with about 4 different bullets in 20 round boxes.(also availible from midway)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts