6.5 grendel for elk?

I've built quite a few Grendels on the AR platform and one on the CZ 527, and quite a few of those were for guys that wanted to take their AR deer hunting. It's not a bad choice for that. 120gr bullet at 2500 fps or the 100gr at 2650+ makes good deer medicine. A few deer were shot at just over 300 yards and none went more than 40 yards. It is an accurate little cartridge with light recoil. I think you can push those velocities a little higher with a bolt action or single shot too.

For elk, hell yes it would do the job, but I'd choose something bigger since that 'perfect' standing broadside shot doesn't always present itself and if I'm elk hunting, I want to fill my freezer with elk meat even if that bull is standing quartering to me.

I agree that a big Bull is hard to put down. My last Bull went 320 Hit through the lungs and broke the shoulder on the way out. He turned around and walked about 100 yards turn and looked back. I thought I had missed. Stumbled a little and went down. I was shooting a 300 Win. Mag and a 180gr TSX The bull was at 378yards.

I agree that a big Bull is hard to put down. My last Bull went 320 Hit through the lungs and broke the shoulder on the way out. He turned around and walked about 100 yards turn and looked back. I thought I had missed. Stumbled a little and went down. I was shooting a 300 Win. Mag and a 180gr TSX The bull was at 378yards.

Did you notice what the bullet did to the lungs when you gutted him?

I'll always error on the side of greater horse power. I'd hate for you to get out in the field and feel undergunned as you stare down at a big bull.

You know what's a lot tougher to kill than an elk? This thread. Darn thing started in 08 and has been brought back to life multiple times over 9 years. One tough sucker.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.