6.5 creedmor

shuamee

im looking for another hunting/ range gun. been reading really good things on both the 260 and 6.5 creedmor. i have read where some people think the 6.5 is going to be the next big thing and alot of people are saying that they think the are fading the 260 out. my question is which has better ballistics and do you think the 6.5 is going to stick around and more people pick up on ammo? whitetail will prob be the biggest game i would hunt with this gun

I think you may have stepped on some toes with your info on the 260. Its not going anywhere. I think the 6.5 is a better design, but not so much so as to upset its main rival. I bought into the 6.5 because I don't hand load and for the price the factory 140 Amax is cheap.

I think you may have stepped on some toes with your info on the 260. Its not going anywhere. I think the 6.5 is a better design, but not so much so as to upset its main rival. I bought into the 6.5 because I don't hand load and for the price the factory 140 Amax is cheap.

I do handload but buy ammo of about 3 different breeds.. 6.5 Creed for a friend...260 for me and 6BR for myself. You can load a 6.5 Creed a little more, but the diff doesnt amount to Jack Squat.

6.5 Creed...100gr slug.....40.5 gr of Varget....3122 fps @ 60K pressure
260 Rem...100 gr slug...39.5 gr of Varget.....3025 fps and 58.9 PSI

The 6.5's have been around a looong time. They are here to stay! Excellent ballistics, mild recoil, and very good terminal capabilities.

The 260 and Creedmoor are ballistic twins. The 260 has much better brass available from Lapua. The Creedmoor offers an abrupt shoulder, slightly better case design.

My pick would be the 260, for the Lapua brass, and better availability. You really can't go wrong.

Not trying to step on any toes or anything thats just what ive read. i have been leaning towards the 260 bc of the brass available for it. im just wondering if they r going to come out with anything else for the 6.5 or if its just goin to sit where its at for now and which you would honestly prefer and why.

Everyone knows you're going to get great brass from Lapua, but my Hornady brass for my Creedmoor has been great. I'm on my 5th reload right now, and the primer pockets are as tight as the first firing. The first few lots of Hornady brass were supposedly not that great, but mine has been excellent.

I think there are a lot of us thinking the 6.5 CM is going to be a big player, in the long-range shooting scene a long with the hunters.

I am having one built presently, its been at gunsmith now for 8 weeks. So for my money the 6.5 CM better be good at long-range game or I won't be happy.

I have a 6.5 creedmoor built by bison barrels. It shoots an easy .5 moa with factory ammo (hornady match 120amax). Nice shooting little caliber. Low recoil, accurate and not a barrel burner. Haven't shot a 260, so can't comment on it. Getting about 2850 with the factory hornady ammo, which I know is on the slow side, but it's accurate so, who gives. I am sure hand loads could go much faster

I use the 6.5x284 extensively for hunting and wanted a 6.5 for my high volume competition shooting. The 260 or CM seemed to be a good choice. I ended up going with the 260. The 260 has picked up significantly over the past few years, and the 6.5CM is partly responsible for this. I initially wanted a CM but it was at the time when brass and ammo was hard to get, and what was available was poor quality. I went with the 260 and am glad I did. The accuracy and ballistics are excellent, just about identical to the CM, and good brass is easily obtainable. Based on the number of riflles in 260 I'm seeing at matches, I believe this cartridge is increasing in popularity, and will be around for a long time.

thank yall for the help. i think i will go with the 260. does anybody know very much about the savage lw hunter? i will eventually be getting something for some distance shooting i need another hunting rifle right now tho.

I have both a Savage LRH in 6.5x284 and a Savage LRP in .260. Both are excellent shooters with consistant .25MOA performance out to a tested 500 yards. Only had to open the barrel channel up at the stock tip on the LRH to fully float the barrel, otherwise both delivered with no additional modification.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts