6.5 creedmoor

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by rsq219, Nov 19, 2011.

1. rsq219

rsq219 Member

I am thinking of getting a 6.5 creedmoor rifle. what is everyone's opinions on it for a coytote and deer gun. is it fur friendly?

2. milanuk

milanuk Well-Known Member

I've got one (Sav 12 LRP) with a big heavy barrel - not exactly a 'carry' gun but it should be able to reach out and touch 'em as far as I am comfortable on a small moving target ;)

As far as fur-friendly... probably depends on the bullet. 95 VMax, probaby not so much ;) S123MK, possibly.

3. Sendero_Man

Sendero_Man <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

the new 6 Creedmoore is gonna be great too... 87 to 105's :)

4. rsq219

rsq219 Member

Any word on when the new 6mm creedmoor will be out? will it be comercially available or a custom load?

5. Sendero_Man

George at GA Precision is making them now. Available in an AR platform and bolt rifle. Dies and abundant 6.5 CM brass is available.

Tell him Scott sent you !

Home - GA Precision

6. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

What's the difference between a 6mm Creedmoor and a 243 AI?

7. Sendero_Man

6 CM :

no fire forming

works better in AR15 platform

longer barrel life

shorter case works better in SA with longer bullets than 243AI

8. milanuk

I'm guessing the 6 Creedmoor would be a couple notches down from a .243 AI... probably more like the 6-6.5x47L. Which begs the question... unless the 6 Creedmoor becomes available in factory ammo and chambered in factory rifles... why would you build such a creature when you can get higher quality Lapua brass with small primer pockets & PPC flash holes in a 6-6.5x47L?

9. Sendero_Man

most wildcats are just that... for handloaders and custom rifles. same as the 243AI

guys that shoot these aren't worried about factory ammo and factory rifles !

greater velocities than the 6x47 Lapua and the 6 CM has a large rifle primer not small like 6x47L

10. milanuk

I'm not the one who started suggesting wildcats to the original poster... who was asking about a commerically available round.

Do you know that for a fact? Given the variability of Hornady brass relative to Lapua, plus what I've seen people get out of their 6-6.5x47Lapuas, I'm not sure I'd make that bet.

Personally, that isn't a selling point for me. I like the incredibly tight and tough primer pockets from the 6-6.5x47L. Never had an ignition problem, even in cold temps.

11. Sendero_Man

Guess I missed the part where he asked ONLY for a commercially available round ?? That part of his post doesn't show up on my screen ???

Yes, I do know that for a fact... seeing as how I have a 6x47L and know all the specs and load data on the 6CM from George.....

I have had ignition problems and using the Wolf Magnum primers didn't even help. Hunting/shooting here in Wyoming at 20 and 30 below = failures...

I was just suggesting a great alternative to the 6.5 is all. The 6 CM would be great on coyotes, less fur damage and very capable of taking any deer sized animal.

I have a 6 CM in route to me now. Will post up the data I get with it.

12. milanuk

I think you misunderstand my point here... I'm not saying the 6 CM won't be a good round; no reason it shouldn't. I just think that maybe when a guy asks about a given cartridge (6.5 CM, read his first post carefully - no mention of wildcats or alternatives) that advocating a wildcat currently only available from one gunsmith in the country, and that you don't even have in hand yet... is maybe not the best advice. I hope the 6CM *does* take off - though its going to be like trying to re-invent the wheel in a *very* crowded, albeit very *popular* niche.

13. Sendero_Man

you can never have to many 6mm's ! :)

14. rsq219

rsq219 Member

can anyone tell me what size bolt face i would need for the 6.5 creedmoor, and would i be better off with a long or short action. thank you