6.5 CM Ruger American Predator accuracy

Litehiker

Last week I took my Ruger American Predator out for its first sight-in. It is topped with a SWFA 5 -15 X 42 scope. This scope has mil/mil turrets and reticle in First Focal Plane and has side focus.

I had a lot of 6.5 CM 140 gr. Hornady EDL-M (Match) ammo for PRS and other competitions so I used it to get on paper since my 143 gr. ELD-X hunting ammo consisted of only two boxes. It's kinda rare ammo right now,being relatively new.

After getting grouping 1 1/4" high of center at 100 yards I felt it was properly sighted in for 200 yards based on Hornady's ballistic charts for that specific ammo. Later I'll actually shoot it at 200 yards to confirm this. I was shooting fairly rapidly B/C the wind was perfect at 6 o'clock and I was worried it would shift. When I finished the RAP's heavier barrel was too hot to hold but still there was no "walking" of impacts.

My group was a ragged hole of 1/2" with 5 shots. The 6th and last shot opened it up to 3/4". I'm very satisfied with that. Hornady says their ELD-X (eXpanding) hunting ammo is match quality and I'm now a believer.

This comes very close to the accuracy I'm getting with the 140 gr. ELD-M ammo through my Ruger Precision Rifle that I use for competition so I'm VERY happy with the RAP.
So far, other than to adjust the trigger to its lowest setting, I have made no mods to this rifle but will soon.

Upcoming Ruger Amer. Predator MODS:

1.-> Timney trigger (before taking it deer and elk hunting in October)

2.-> BOYD'S Classic laminated stock W/ metal Savage 110 trigger guard (fits perfectly, BTW).

3.-> flush cup sling mounts (to go with my MAGPUL Modular Sling)

Eric B.

I have experienced the same results as yours with my Ruger American Predator 6.5.
I was able to work the trigger down to 2.5 pounds. This is a load I went with 140 ELD and IMR 4350. I have since did some more load tweaking and a stock change.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 294
This is its current form... I have achieved better accuracy with the stiffer Boyds ProVarmint.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    391.4 KB · Views: 3,239
Just bought a RAR predator in 6.5 Creedmoor yesterday. Waiting on Zeiss 3-15x to mount & will post results. Ordered Talley rings as well.
Really like the basic yet different design of this action. Also appreciate the heavier sporting taper barrel putting the balance forwards. For $415.00...i had to bite !

gohring,

Nice looking piece! What is the stock and brake?

Yeah, I was thinking of adding a Little Bastard brake on my RAP because I have one on my highly accurate Ruger Precision Rifle and it helps me see my hits (and misses!).

Ruger has finally used precision manufacturing and great engineering to produce very affordable "interesting" (i.e. accurate) rifles.

Eric B.

gohring,

Nice looking piece! What is the stock and brake?

Yeah, I was thinking of adding a Little Bastard brake on my RAP because I have one on my highly accurate Ruger Precision Rifle and it helps me see my hits (and misses!).

Ruger has finally used precision manufacturing and great engineering to produce very affordable "interesting" (i.e. accurate) rifles.

Eric B.
Thanks Litehiker, it's a Boyds ProVarmint stock. The Brake is from a guy in California who Machines them to order and has a EBay shop. This is my second one from him...

Guys,

Well I've finished upgrading my 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator.

1. Boyd's Classic brown laminated stock (Perfect fish scale checkering!)
2. Timmy trigger (best mod on this rifle)
3. Brownell's metal (Savage 110) trigger guard (Exactly replaces the plastic Boyd's guard.)
4. Flush cup sling swivels
5. Magpul Modular sling

Now I'm ready for coyote or pronghorn. Since the Boyd's stock laminated is exactly 1 lb. heavier than the plastic Ruger stock I'll take the plastic stock when I hunt at altitudes above 7,000 ft.

** I Dremeled out a groove in the fore arm of the Ruger plastic stock and JB Welded an aluminum arrow shaft in place, using putty dams to keep the JB Weld from running all over.. Now that forearm is much stiffer without adding a lot of weight. I highly recommend this mod if your are planning on keeping and using that wimpy stock.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.