6.5 CM hot load

Waynard

Hi fellas, Hey, I shot my 6.5 CM at the gun range the other day and some of the guys were complaining my reloads were to hot. This is what I was shooting Hornady brass, 95gr. Sierra Match King bullet, BLC(2) powder and CCI 200 primer for a muzzle velocity of about 3700 F.P.S.. It was when the flames shot out the end of the barrel the first complaint came, the second was the loud boom and muzzle percussion got a little annoying, the third was when I open the bolt and my primers were falling out of the breech and I had to pound the stuck brass out with a steel ram rod. I just don't know why everybody got so mad and picked up and swore at me as they walked off the range. Hahaha. No not really but has anybody ever been on a public gun range and experienced something like this?

Oh yea. See folks on the verge of blowing themselves up all the time. Find case head separations laying on the floor. One day I had to wipe the blood off the bench from the previous shooter so it wouldn't get on my gun!

If you take a poll, you will find out that no one is interested in taking shrapnel to the side of the head.

Last Christmas I was doing a bunch of Pressure Trace testing with the Creedmoor. With a couple powders behind the 140gr bullets, each additional 75-100 fps came at the price of around 10,000 psi.
So if it held true across the board: 400 fps over-loaded gives an additional 40,000 psi, totaling 100,000 psi proof loads.

We help pickup a few people a year who blow themselves apart.

Be sure to read all I posted above I did not do this, only using it as an "example" because I've seen some crazy s##t on the gun ranges but the hot loads seem to be the new one.

I've had people with extremely hot loads next to me almost same senario as you mentioned, and they had no clue to what others where complaining about. All they new was that so so made the amo or they pulled it off the net because it was a fast load.
Also when the guy with the oversize break sets up close enough next to you that it makes your eyebrows wave with the blast.

Be sure to read all I posted above I did not do this, only using it as an "example" because I've seen some crazy s##t on the gun ranges but the hot loads seem to be the new one.

A long example filled paragraph followed by a quick " ha-ha just kidding, anybody experience this? " doesn't spell out what you are after exactly.

In any case, over loading and blowing things up isn't a newfound breed of stupid; that's one of the old-gaurds of stupid. Just a new massive influx of people in the sport, who get online and want A single easy answer that requires no effort of their own. :cool:

Funny I have two friends that reload for the selfs and always want to for others without the gun. I always say something and they get mad. For example last year they came to my range with three different caliber study loaded for up to 300win. When asking about the load they started all at book max. When I voiced concern they got mad and straight faced told me that the loading books must be conservative. They said that is the hottest load for the weakest action they could find. I couldn't help but laugh and say that weird mine say barrel length and what it was shot out. Then gave them examples of my two guns that won't come me close to max especially my 6x45. Didn't matter I was wrong so they shot and they where so excited that the 300 recoiled so hard and mad so much noise. But couldn't hit a 1 1/2 foot steel at 300. After about 20 rounds he hit the smaller target of 8" x10" and said good enough lol. Then they started shooting pistols and the first two shots out of a .357 made a new shoulder about a third of the way up the brass. I asked them to stop and they said I don't know anything. This gun is a ruger titanium and will hold a way over book max which they load a full 2 grains. At that point I had to tell them no more. We still talk but never about guns. I hear all the time from people in town that I don't know **** about reloading. Well maybe not I'm ok with that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.