6.5 calibur

The 260 is a 308 necked down. IMHO it is a pretty good round for light skinned big game. the 6.5 x 47 lapua is also a pretty impressive round. If you want more power go to the 6.5-284.

booney,
Take a look at the 6.5x47 because of the Lapua brass quality. If you want to go faster, look at the 6.5-06 AI, 264 Win, or the Gibbs, but I think the 6.5x47 would do want you want with more barrel life and less powder than the others.

I've had the 6.5-270WSM in the back of my head but don't have the funds, I can push 140 gr bullets over 3300fps with no problem with my 270WSM and I would think you could blister out the 6.5's as well with a little better BC bullets.

I necked down a 7mm dakota and I love it. Much more accurate than the .264 win mag and case life seems to be indefinite-more than 30 reloadings per case..Velocitys 3500 with a 120 grain bullet and .5 inch accuracy. One step necking down and your set. Same bolt as the 264,300.338. Recoil is mild enough to not have to put up with the ear damage of a muzzle brake. larry

any one neck down a wsm to a 6.5

Yep. I love mine. 140 grainers at 3200 fps out of a 26" barrel. Basically the ballistic twin of the 264 win mag. Fiftydriver has a fair amount of experience with the round as well (way more than me).

guys either he is lucky or things have changed because my friend shoots regular Remington brass with his 260 and has won a lot of high power shoots. he does not weight his brass or anything special .size it and loads it. He is on his sixth reload with the same brass shooting .320 groups @ 100 yards and about 3.5" or less out to 600 yards and that is not off a bench or a scope. so i do realize that Lapua brass should be better especially since it cost over 2 times the cost. but their is no way it can get twice the accuracy. I mean i know Lapua is good stuff but the way i read some of these. it seems everyone Else's are through aways.
i just can not be convince that they are really that much better for the price you pay. How much better can they be?? open for any suggestions.
42.5 gr of H1000 with a 30" barrel. 139 gr Lapua bullet is his load.
he also gets over 2000 + rounds on his barrels also.
do you really gain that much to only get 1,000 to 1500 rds down the tube just to have to sink 500.00 + dollars back into your rifle and hope it shoots as good as it did once before.
i am new at this so please state your cases I love to here differant opinions. maybe i am missing a lot of something i need.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts