6.5 bullet for coyote

If you're looking to retain some BC 120/123gr ELD-M will shred yotes. You can also get them up to solid speeds. Currently running 2840fps out of my 18" 6.5x47 with RL16.

If you don't care about the hide shoot a 95 grain v-max. The devastation is epic!

If you don't care about the hide shoot a 95 grain v-max. The devastation is epic!

Out to what range?

I have a 6.5 creed 1:9 and wanting to get a 600 yd rock chuck and coyote load developed for this next coming month. I have boxes of 95, 100, 120, 123, 129 and 130 grainers on my loading bench which I have been staring at for two weeks now. I cant make up my mind which way to go.
Trajectory is my friend, wind is my enemy, impact is fun but foremost I gotta hit what I'm shooting at!
What to do?? I keep looking at the 123.

Out to what range is really up to you as the shooter. The 95 v-max has a BC of .365, so not amazing but not bad either. I use a 243 AI for what you are using your 6.5 creed for, so I have a lower BC bullet and do fine at long range. Give the 123 a try, if you dont like it try the 95.

Back when I was hunting coyoets, I had really good luck with the old 140 A-max. They never took a step. I'd give the 140 eld-m a go. That's going to give you superior down range ballistics than any of the 120/130 class bullets. And shoots at your distances, you're going to need all the help you can get.

Back when I was hunting coyoets, I had really good luck with the old 140 A-max. They never took a step. I'd give the 140 eld-m a go. That's going to give you superior down range ballistics than any of the 120/130 class bullets. And shoots at your distances, you're going to need all the help you can get.
I agree. I also think the eldx a better option in this instance than the eldm. With the cavity in the nose of the bullet, it will help expansion at the low velocities

I would give the Berger VLD Hunting line a try if it were mine. The coyotes I have shot, or seen shot with them have never asked for a second one. Probably not the best choice if you're trying to save the hide though.
Having said that..Try them all. There are some great opinions on some very good bullets on here. Trying new bullets just means more time shooting (which is never a negative thing).

I shoot the 95 V-Max in my 6.5 SLR, .260Rem, and 6.5 SS. From 3300 to 3700, they are devastating on varmints. I have also shot coyotes with 140 VLDs, 142 SMKs, and 150 SMKs with good results.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.