6.5-300WSM

Anyone Tried building a rifle for this yet? I have been kicking around the idea of building a 6.5 for a while and was considering the parent case. 284 seems to be where I am leaning, just have not heard anything based in the WSM family. The intention would be a low recoil LR target/varmint/light game rifle. Any advice?
~z

Interesting...I'll wait around to see if anyone else chimes in. Sounds interesting but I felt it would be a good idea to see if anyone had built one before I go charging off to slay windmills on my own.
~z

I had one built a few years ago.The WSM brass was real iffy back then and for some reason that dog wouldnt hunt.I traded it off for a 6-284 bench gun thats a real tack driver.I have since added a 6.5-284 to the gun cabnet and am somewhat satisfied with it.Ben hearing a lot of good things about the 6.5x47 Lapua but have no personal experience with it.
Last I herd Chriss Mathews had the 6.5WSM figured out and was getting it to shoot preaty good but very few other are?

THis is my buddy's 6.5 WSM. It is a Stiller Predator action and a Krieger 1-8" barrel.
aprilplateshoot3.jpg

He shot it in our match last weekend and it shot fairly well despite having a shot out barrel. He said he looked in the throat before coming to the match and it was "alligator hide" quite a ways in. He has about 900 rounds through it now. He shoots RL22 and a 142 grain Sierra MK bullet. He has killed an elk over 1000 yard with it and heaps of pasture poodles from 50 feet to 1800 yards. But he is liking his new 6.5x47 even more!

I acquired one a while back second hand that I have not had the time to shoot yet. 26" Lilja barrel and Savage action. I formed my cases from Norma 270 WSM brass. Lube with Imperial sizing wax and one easy pass through the sizing die.

I would like to use 130 gr AB's but funds are short right now and I have 129 gr SST's on hand. I have several rounds loaded up with IMR 7828SSC in 1 grain increments just screaming to be put downrange through a chrony.

I am hoping for 3300 fps with that weight from the 26" tube, just have to see how it shakes out.

.222, I do have a 6.5 WSM that Kirby Allen built. Took it to Turkey this past Christmas and shot Anatolian chamois and ibex with 120 BTs. Kirby did a great job on this project and is completing another XP as we speak. The 120 BT is traveling around 3050 fps out of a 17 inch tube. It is extremely accurate.

I have a set of dies for the 6.5X300wsm.. the problem is the rifle that was built @ the same time is a 6.5X300 Win Mag.. oops... not sure where the screw up took place but I called the smith today and he said he'd take care of it..

Blygy

I have one in the works, it will be based on a Rem 700 long action. Found a "Very Limited Production" set of 6.5/300WSM Lee dies, and will also get a Redding 300WSM body die. Will be necking down 270WSM brass (only reducing the neck .013", so much easier than necking down 300WSM brass (which would take a .044" neck reduction).

Here is what Kevin (Board Sponsor, MCR Rifles) states about the dies....
The difference you're seeing from the 270 WSM to the 300WSM is from the smaller diameter neck coming down the shoulder angle. If you order the Redding body bump die you'll want to get a 6.5-300 WSM body bump. The body bump will resize the body and bump the shoulder back .001" - .002" when set correctly. If you got a 270 WSM body bump die you won't be bumping back the last .013" on the shoulder.

I also spoke with Redding, and they told me the bushing dies would not size the entire neck, because of the radius on the inside of the bushing (but I bet it would still work).

Last edited:
I built one and it was one of the most accurate long range rifles I have ever done. From experience with the one I would highly recomend it. I shot the 130 swift scirroco and the 130 and 140 bergers in it. Mine came in velocity wise just shy of the 264 winchester. The new owner has taken quite a bit of game with it at long range. I built it and it shot to good so I got way to good an offer to sell it. Thought I would build another but never got around to it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.