6.5-300 ultra is ready!!!

Re: 6.5-300 ultra is ready!!! UPDATE

well its been a while since i posted in this thread but a lot of you asked for some numbers and info etc...

first.. I love this rifle... but i will say that I have learned more about reloading/pressure/attention to detail than i ever have gone through with any other chamber... but in the end... this is a good thing.

I tried US869,Retumbo,R25 and H50bmg

bullets I've tried the 130 accubond and the 142 smk (but i have some 130 swifts on the way)

honestly with the numbers this rifle is showing.. its hard for me to not just shoot the 142 smk.. the gain in velocity with the 130 over a 140 is a wash with the weight thrown into the mix...

(now these numbers are REAL world numbers that shoot out of my rifle)
All with 142smk seated to fit the mag:

US869... 99gr 3370-3420 (i say two #s cause it was that erratic)
H50bmg.. 93gr.. 3300 fps and maxed out (makes sense)
Retumbo.. 85gr..3300 max
R25... 87gr.. 3410 STEADY!

Also keep in mind.. Its August in TX.. Its hot! But at least i know where am at for sure!
I did run the smk up to 3490 with R25 but thats a HOT load..no good.

Have not played with the 130gr much.. but so far.. 87gr R25 = 3500fps

i haven't really even shot for groups (at distance) yet.. I have had the smk group in 1/2 moa at 100 just load testing.. but bottom line is.. im not worried about it..:D

photo.jpg

Last edited:
That's about as pretty of a natural wood stock as I've ever seen. I've got a 25 RUM or 25-300 Ultra, and based on the bullet comments and recommendations within your Thread, I think I'll try the Cutting Edge Bullets. I've already smoked several 115 Berger VLDs during bullet launch down my tube. I launched a few at 3900 fps. Kirby Allen has recommended the heaviest bullet possible in these large overbore magnums, in order to achieve the most consistent performance with the ultra slow burning powders. However I have a 10-twist barrel, which limits my options for going much heavier than about 120 grains with the .257 bullets.

Thanks for sharing your experiences and MVs with your 6.5-300 Ultra.

Thanks for the update. I was following this to see the difference between this and my 264 STW. Quite a few years back we necked the 30-378 wby to 7mm and did not get a velocity gain as we expected because it was just maxed out overbore and wouldn't push the bullets any faster than smaller cartridges with the powders available at the time.

Retumbo has been the best powder for my 264 STW. 82 grains sends the 130 CE at 3684 fps and 82.8 grains sends the 129 SST at 3709 fps. Those are my accuracy loads. Continue to let us know how this one does. I don't know how much my data will help you but I will share what I know. I think you are on the right track with the slowest powders and I think Retumbo should work well for you. What you really need is some of my old lot H-870. That would get her smoking. I haven't tried 869 but I thought it might work if it wasn't so erratic.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.