6.5-300 ultra is ready!!!

I think with these "hot rods" you just have to know what you can do with it.. even if this rifle was printing 2-4 inch groups at 1000 its not practical (maybe if it was always was under 2..lol ).. between barrels and bedding it just wouldn't work for a target/shooter rifle.. Now, for a pure hunting.. pull the trigger.. it dies.. end of story kinda of thing.. it works GREAT! You have to pay attention during load development and so to speak.. get to the point and be done with it.. I still can't decide if i am going to shoot the 142smk or choose a "hunting" bullet.. ie: 130 accubond... 129 sst.
But at this point I am leaning towards the 142.. cause under 500 (really maybe farther) yards with that speed.. who cares!! is going to waappp the **** out of whatever you hit!

Still haven't decided on the black rail or polished.. I am going to scope it up then decide...

And the comment about who cares on barrel life (with this kinda build) is right! who cares??!! shoot it.. and be done with it... I can't wait to post some #s off this bad girl!

This rifle is actual going to have a BIG brother... it will be ready soon enough... :Dgun)

My 6.5 STW was finished 17 months ago. Been by far the most educational Handloading experience to date. My BR guns have showed the importance of fine fine brass prep and attention to detail but this mother Hubbard is a whole different experience!
Just when I think I know something about powder burn speed or bullet bearing surface the bolt is locked up. After 213 rounds looking for bughole groups I finally realized where my best potential is and that I can fine tune from here.
I will say that I have made a long term commitment to the 142 SMK with a large purchase of them. To me it seemed that the Amax had the best combo of accuracy and pressure forgiveness but just never could bring my self to trust them under 200 yards.
The bonded bullets had the least tolerance for pressure forgiveness prob due to thick jacket. I will say all the gave I have killed with this gun has been with either the Accubond or the Interbond at 400 yards or less. At 3500 fps out of a 1-8" twist it seemed like the bullet really "helicoptered" it's way thru the animal, massive wound channel.
I would also like to add that extrapolation, at least in my particular case has been dangerous if nothing else. Very unpreditical. I really am starting to think bullet construction (read jacket thickness or hardness) has much more to say than any other bore diameter I have tried to date. Just my observations. Looking forward to hearing back as I really want to try the 6.5 RUM myself and your gun is a looker!

Tim

Let us know how it performs. My pet 264 STW shoots the 129 SST and 130 grain Cutting Edge over 3700 fps with .25 MOA accuracy. It has a 28" barrel. The Cutting Edge is probably the best choice because of the high BC and will not come apart from the high velocity/fast twist combination or hitting an animal at high velocity. This rifle has a few hundred rounds through it and barrel wear is not a factor so far. Just take care of it. Since you count on maybe 400 rounds through it I would consider the extra cost of the Cutting Edge bullets. Load work will be minimal since they are the easiest bullets to get accurate I have ever shot. Just load them to recommended depth and typically you are there. Very important when every shot is critical. You want to get your load as soon as possible. There is a good chance the bergers and sierras will come apart at your twist and velocity. They will out of my STW. Just very erratic at that velocity and twist. The hornady sst and the cutting edge is where I would look.

That thing is going to be a Laser. Great looking stock, I have a Joel Russo A5 in Desert Ironwood on my 338 Ultra mag.
I just built a 6.5-300 WSM with a 31 inch Krieger in 8 twist and I am getting 3300 fps with 140 Berger Hybrids using 67 gr. Retumbo that shot under a 1/4 inch at 115 yds. Going to test them at 300 next.
Keep us informed on your results.
Tarey

Check out this bedding job.... :D

Bedding.jpg

I think with these "hot rods" you just have to know what you can do with it.. even if this rifle was printing 2-4 inch groups at 1000 its not practical (maybe if it was always was under 2..lol ).. between barrels and bedding it just wouldn't work for a target/shooter rifle.. Now, for a pure hunting.. pull the trigger.. it dies.. end of story kinda of thing.. it works GREAT! You have to pay attention during load development and so to speak.. get to the point and be done with it.. I still can't decide if i am going to shoot the 142smk or choose a "hunting" bullet.. ie: 130 accubond... 129 sst.
But at this point I am leaning towards the 142.. cause under 500 (really maybe farther) yards with that speed.. who cares!! is going to waappp the **** out of whatever you hit!

Still haven't decided on the black rail or polished.. I am going to scope it up then decide...

And the comment about who cares on barrel life (with this kinda build) is right! who cares??!! shoot it.. and be done with it... I can't wait to post some #s off this bad girl!

This rifle is actual going to have a BIG brother... it will be ready soon enough... :Dgun)
You might want to give the 129gr interbond (BC .515) and the 140gr SST (BC .520) a ride as well. Both are excellen hunting bullets that can give great accuracy.

I'm getting extremely good results with the 130gr Sicrocco (BC .571) running 3000fps and you should be able to add at least another 400fps to that.

Started with just ten loaded rounds... Had to do barrel break in and just wanted to see "where i was at" with loads...

Loaded 89-99 gr of US869... 142 smk

No preasure signs at all all the way to 99gr..

3410 fps with 99... I feel im getting close.. Im guessing 102-103ish will start case preasure.

Shooting again in the morning... Stay tuned

Wow thats cooking!! I'll stay tuned for sure!! We all need a barrel burner every once in a while. :)

142 SMK at 3500fps!? What's not to love! Barrel life be damned, that is pure sex appeal right there....

You might look at the 130 CEB too, i'm going to use that exclusively in my 6.5WSM.....

Kirby Allen is getting 3550 out of his 6.5 AM with 142 gr SMK in a 30" barrel and that is a 338 Rum necked down to 6.5 so depending how long your barrel is you should be able to get 3600 out of yours.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.