6.5-284 win loads w/140 VLD's

roadhunter

Looking for some proven load data using H4831SC or H4350. I'm sure there has been some previous threads, but I must be doing something wrong with the search tool.

Thanks,

Doug

I have a good H4350 load for 139 Scenars but can't remember off the top of my head.
For 140 Bergers I shoot 50 gr. RE-17. Getting just over 3000 fps with this load.

Hey Roadhunter:
I just recently tried a bunch of different loads for the new 6.5X 284.
I did load some different loads with the H4831SC and got to 51.5 gr. before I started seeing pressures. Not terrible pressures but still enough to say stop.
They shot good groups but was topping out at around 2900 fps through my chronograph. I also loaded 49gr. of RL17 which shot some great groups as well as Hodgons Hybrid 100V at 49 gr. Both of these shot great groups but was lacking the fps I was hoping for. My best groups and greatest fps came from Retumbo at 58.5 gr. A couple of reasons I decided to stick with this load. It shot great groups. It gave me the best velocity. (3020 fps with 16fps extreme spread) It is also one of the extreme powder lines not affected by temperatures. Hardly shows any signs of pressure even at 58.5 gr. I am shooting it through a new Savage 111 LRH with a 24" barrel and was quite surprised to see this velocity. This load is shooting a 5/8" group at 200 yd. and for me that is pretty darn good.
Hope something here helps. Let me know what ya end up using.
Oh ya just FYI all of these loads were with the 140gr Berger Hunting Bullet and seated to COAL of 3.120.
Good Luck!

THE GUN THEORY!!!!!!lightbulb
Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it!!!!!

Looking for some proven load data using H4831SC or H4350. I'm sure there has been some previous threads, but I must be doing something wrong with the search tool.

Thanks,

Doug

I have just recently had a 6.5 x 284 built by orwapitihunter (blatt customs) and i am very pleased at the groups and the performance. I shoot laupa brass, CCI large primers, 140 VLDS, IMR 7828 53.0grns, and i am getting .240" group off bi-pods. shoots 3008 fps

OB

Thanks for the info guys. I just bought 100 pieces of Lapua brass and ordered some redding dies (s series neck anf FL sizer and comp seating). I'm excited to get started. I have both the Rel 17 and Retumbo I use for other calibers, so I may give them a try too. My rifle will have a 27" Lija barrel, so I'm hoping to get over 3000fps without max pressure. It's going to be my long range Antelope and Deer medacine for the '11 season!

Doug

Last edited:
Norma load 0.299 neck, 27 in shilen
lapua brass, br2 primers, 52 grains h4831s, 140 vld
speed ??? Don't know

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.