6.5-284 vs. 264 Win Mag

VjjR

What are the Pros and cons of each? I'm going to be building my first long range rifle and I cant decide which one to go with. All I know is that I want a 6.5mm bullet.

The 264 STW will do more than either. The 264 win mag next. I like my 264 gibbs next which is all you can get out of a blown out "06 case and virtually duplicates the 264 win mag. The 6.5-06 imp is close to the gibbs and a very good cartridge also. The 6.5-284 will come in behind all these in velocity. So as a long range hunting cartridge it would give you the least killing power.

Anyone ever done a 6.5 off the 338 lapua case or even a 6.5-338Lapua Imp?

I'm pretty sure I've read something about a 6.5 off one of the RUM cases but not sure if I've heard of one off a 338Lap case. I'm sure someone has done it though.

What are the Pros and cons of each? I'm going to be building my first long range rifle and I cant decide which one to go with. All I know is that I want a 6.5mm bullet.

you're on a good path. The 6.5mm bullet is a great choice. Both the 6.5x284 and 264win mag can have fairly short barrel life depending on how much you shoot them. The 260Rem is a nice round. You can load it pretty fast and get a bunch more barrel life.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

Ya I thought I had read that Kirby had a 6.5 off the RUM case.

I've never heard of anyone doing a 6.5 off the 338 Lapua case but I'm sure someone has.

I have had my 264 stw for 11 or so years and shot many rounds through it and it still shoots good. I shoot the 130 grain scirrocos at over 3500 fps with it. It is a wicked long range 6.5 if that is what you are after. My wife was busting rocks at over 1000 yards with my 264 win mag and she likes it best. Says she can hold it more accurate with the less recoil. I like all of them. Just the faster ones are better on long range animals.

Last edited:
Both are great rounds, they burn barrels but any thing high performance does.

Questions, do you have an action ready to go? If you have a Magnum Bolt face go with the 264win, standard go 6.5X284.

65.x284 has great brass. A 140 VLD berger @ 3000 fps is amazing. Ring steel at 1500 yrds,

Between the two, I go 6.5x284 all day...I actual did switch a 264 to a 6.5x284. I sold it at 400 rounds due to the throat moving .100. I wanted to get rid of it before it was total done. IT was still shooting in the .33 MOA.

I do already have the action. Savage 111 with a magnum bolt face but that is not a factor. If i'm going to build it I want it to be the ultimate round.

Owning rifles in both cartridges I would opt for the 6.5x284.

It will kill everything the 264 Win can out to 1200 yds.

50.0 grains of RL17 will fetch you 3,000 mv with a 140 Berger VLD.

The 264's, and I love them, can be, in my experience and I've owned 3 of them,
a more finicky cartridge for accuracy. In contrast the 6.5-284 seems easy to get
there, with less recoil.

Unless you plan on killing out past 1200 yards I seen no reason for a
case that holds more than 70 grains of powder. In that case your recoil factor just went up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrPQjJDkn0M

Last edited:
I have a Accumark 300Wby that I have been wanting to sell but if I don't sell it this thread has me seriously thinking about turning it into a 6.5-300RUM or maybe a 6.5-7RUM. Sure would make things alot easier to use the 7RUM case.

Anyone know if anyone makes a 6.5-7RUM?

The only 6.5mm caliber that doesn't torch the throat that I'm aware of is the 260.

I have 6.5x284s and this caliber is exceptionally accurate. Plus you can get Lapua brass. If you have any issue with belted cases, then the 264 mag isn't for you, but still a great caliber.

My next 6.5mm caliber will be a 270 WSM necked down. Short, fat case, probably not as hard on the throat as other large capacity cases. Of course I'll try and research any negatives on it, such as feeding issues because I prefer repeaters, not single shots.

If any of you gunsmiths have any knowledge on the 6.5WSM, let me know.

Owning rifles in both cartridges I would opt for the 6.5x284.

It will kill everything the 264 Win can out to 1200 yds.

50.0 grains of RL17 will fetch you 3,000 mv with a 140 Berger VLD.

My 260 with a 28" barrel gets 3000fps with the 140VLD with 44 grains of RL17.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.