6.5-284 twist rate

TGScott

I'm still in a bit of a quandry regarding the correct twist rate for a 6.5-284 I'm having built. I've settled on a Shilen but can't decide if I should go 1:8 or 1:9. I know the 1:8 is preferred for 140s and I would like the ability to shoot them if I wish, but realistically I will be shooting more 120s than 140s and may even want to use 100s sometimes. This will not be a specialized long range rig but I want the ability to "try my hand" at long range target shooting if the urge strikes me. Is there any harm in following thr old advice of selecting a twist appropriate for the heaviest bullet you may shoot? ie. will a 1:8 create problems with 120s? Could one expect decent accuracy with 85s - 100s?

Thanks!

TS

I agree with bountyhunter. I have a 1-9 twist on my 6.5-284 and it just loves 120 and 129 gr. bullets. it will shoot the 140s good enough though. I have killed a few deer 300plus yds with the 120 and 129 gr bullets, works good. but it could shoot the 140s a little better and that is why I will rebarrel to 1-8 or 1-8.5 next time though.

Thank's everybody! I discussed it further with my gunsmith and he says his 8 twist 6.5-284s and 6.5x55s handle the lighter stuff just fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.