6.5-284 on short action?

If you aren't going to shoot the long bullets out of your rifle, your short action should be fine. However, the 6.5x284 is at its best when shooting the long bullets such as the 139grn Scenar, 140 or 142 MK and the A-Max. I would suggest getting a long action, I think you will be happy with that set up. I have 6.5x284 290nk built on 8.5 BAT action and it loves the long bullets. My favorite bullet so far has been the Lupa 139grn scenar. My 6.5 also loves the 142 MK, I will begin some more load work with 142grn MK and H4350. If you need more info, let me know. Good Luck.

Yes, I believe they could. It just depends on how far out you are going to seed your bullets. My C.O.L for my cartridge is 3.160 and it is .010 into the lands. My loaded cartridge would have feeding problems in a short action. It will depend on how far you want to seed your bullets.

Yes,thats a possibility I hadnt thought about.The feed port on the Rem is 2.400" and the bolt goes about .650 beyond the rear of the feed port when opened.
Wildcat,with your 139 scenars about how far is the base of the bullet into the neck of the case?
Ive seen a few of the 6.5s built on a short action but have no info of what bullets they were shooting.

You can use a short action for this round provided you have some machining work done to it.
You can get the magazine well lengthened by any competent gunsmith or machinist. I know of a guy in Canada that opened one up so a fella could use a 7mm rem mag in a short action (I actually think it was a model 7). You can find extended magazine well metal from this site Wyatt's outdoor.
I lengthened my magazine well in a long action to 4.210 up from 3.810 (factory measurement) for again of .4 more than enough to position the bullets so that only the boattail protrudes past the shoulder/neck intersection leaving max case capacity.
I suspect that you can gain this approximate amount allowing the use of VLD style bullets but may not seat in optimum conditions such as mentioned above with the boattail seating depth at the intersection.
You must also remove the same amount from the bolt stop or have a bolt stop installed of this kind Sinclair International which would go on the side opposite of the bolt handle.
This modification is simple and can be done by any gunsmith.

Bal64
It worked for me as a single shot on a rem short action. Even with my shorter throat, I had to pull the bolt to get a live cartridge out.
My 2nd one is a long action.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.