6. 5-284 Norma or 6.5 Creedmoor??

dougduey

I'm looking at getting 6.5mm rifle, but trying to figure out which caliber to get. I've narrowed it down to the Norma or Creedmoor. I want a lighter weight rifle with mild recoil for hunting antelope, deer and elk. It will mainly be the primary rifle for my 11 year old boy which is why I want light weight and recoil. Plus, it could be a fun rifle for me to use, too. I hand load, so factory ammo is not an issue.
I would love to hear all opinions and pros/cons.
I appreciate the help.

Thanks
Doug

So from everything I have heard or seen the 6.5 Norma is about 150fps faster than the creed. Don't expect to get really any more than 2800 with the 140's out of the creed. The 6.5 Norma will get you up to 3000 with a 26 inch barrel and right powder combo. Also for elk your really somewhat limited on distance and energy with the creed. So far the farthest I've seen an elk taken with the creed (on TV) was a little over 600 yards. It wasn't a bang and flop but about a 40 yard trot and then piled up. Still not bad. Someone I work with has the creed and it shoot great with factory ammo. Hornady ammo. I have the 6.5 Norma 24 inch barrel it run about 2950fps and it shoots pretty well also but I hand load for it. I have heard of a few creeds with 26 inch barrel breaking the 2900fps but that's usually custom gun and not the norm either also pretty hot loads.

I would normally opt for the 6.5x284 but with the requirement of light rifle for an 11 year old, a more compact CM may be the better choice if shots are kept under 400/500 yards. IMO, the 6.5x284 is best exploited with a heavier rifle configuration for longer range shooting.

I would go for the creed also for this purpose, lots more barrel life means the youngster will be able to shoot more and more often.

He will be good out to 1000 yards for deer and antelope and up to 600 yards for Elk depending no bullet and elevation.

Plus factory ammo is cheap and available once he is on his own.

I'd opt for the Creed(and no its not because my profile name is Creedmoor shooter:D). Since you handload, 2800-2850 with 140s is entirely possible depending on what barrel length your planning on running. If your planning and shooting deer with this rifle past 800 then go with the Norma for sure. As much as i like the Creed i dont believe its a true 1000 yard deer round. Barrel life would be significantly lower with the Norma. Since this is going into a compact rifle for a 11 year old the Creed would definitely be the best option for recoil.

I would go for the creed also for this purpose, lots more barrel life means the youngster will be able to shoot more and more often.

He will be good out to 1000 yards for deer and antelope and up to 600 yards for Elk depending no bullet and elevation.

Plus factory ammo is cheap and available once he is on his own.

I know miracles do happen but lets be real, 600 yards is a long ways to be shooting at elk with a creedmoor, especially for a kid. I would opt for the 6.5x284 if you are thinking about attempting longer shots on big game, and even then I would feel better with a 7mm or larger...
Recoil is super light on the Norma and barrel life will be more than fine for a hunting rifle.

I know miracles do happen but lets be real, 600 yards is a long ways to be shooting at elk with a creedmoor, especially for a kid. I would opt for the 6.5x284 if you are thinking about attempting longer shots on big game, and even then I would feel better with a 7mm or larger...
Recoil is super light on the Norma and barrel life will be more than fine for a hunting rifle.

I've been leaning towards the Norma. I like overbores........I have a 7 STW!! Although I like having the ability and confidence in a cartridge at longer distances, I rarely shoot anything over 400 yards. I practice long shots, and became proficient at them the years I lived in Colorado because it was necessary. I pretty much big game hunt in NM, CO and WY, so I want a caliber that can reach out there if necessary. But, I always try to get closer to my quarry to increase my odds of a quick ethical kill. Plus, I have to admit that I'm using this as an excuse for my 11 year old in order to get a new rifle. I'm not getting any younger, I don't live at high altitude anymore, so I don't enjoy humping up a mountain at 10,0000 ft with a heavy rifle. My 300 WSM is lighter, but the Norma may become a mountain rifle for me.
Thanks for all the input everyone
I may purchase both calibers.......one for me, and one for my boy. As we all know, you can never have enough rifles!! Both calibers are great, so why choose!!

Thanks
Doug

My daughters (13 and 15 now) and wife have shot numerous deer with our 6.5x284 and 140 Bergers, they love shooting it. Big boom, no kick and crap dies on the other end.

I have shot several elk with it also, even shooting behind the ear the 140 Bergers are borderline for me. 2 bulls were killed instantly, 1 got back up staggering and took a second in the same place to kill him, another stayed down but had his head up when I walked up to him. Love the the caliber, I'm just going to try some ELD X's or LRAB's for elk.

You can always download the Norma to save on barrel life if you and your son are target shooting. But then you can still have the extra velocity/foot lbs for your hunting rounds.

Lapua makes brass for the Norma.

If you are planning on using a short action for the 6.5-284 Norma to save on weight, the velocity gap between the 2 cartridges might be closer (because of seating the bullets further into the case). I tend to believe the Norma shines better in a long action even though the parent cartridge was originally designed for a short action.

I don't own a Creedmoor, but I definitely would someday if I had the chance. I do love my 6.5-284 though.

If you are planning on using a short action for the 6.5-284 Norma to save on weight, the velocity gap between the 2 cartridges might be closer (because of seating the bullets further into the case).

+1 and just get close with the heavy bullets for elk. The creed can get the light bullets going fast for deer if you wanted. Thinking of a mountain rifle with the creed myself.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts