6.5-284 Ball powder?

Weezer

Does anyone run ball powder in the 6.5-284, I have read that it's more temp sensitive than stick. I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble to run ladder test on it. I got a lot of it (20+lbs) and it's supposed to be cooler burn in the neck. Thanks for any light you can shed on it. Weezer

Weezer,

I shoot ball powder exclusively in a 270 Allen Mag (since I think I've notices that stick powders are more abrasive than ball powder) I only used stick powder (ssc) for light bullets (130-150 class) as my first attempts w/normal sized stick powder caused bridging at the neck. Pressure when sky high with RL-25 and the like.

Using US-869 there appears to be some temperature sensitivity but my work arounds include not shooting @ temps above 65*F if loads are not chilled, carry loads in an ice bath in the summer and in a warm pocket when hunting.

I don't think US-869 is nearly as temp. sensitive as RL-22. I have no experience with other ball powders.

Note, I do my long range hunting mostly from a 'hide' thus cartridges are not chambered until there is a shot.

For walk and stock I've considered a summer load and a winter load but I'm skeer'd of confusing them.:rolleyes:

Thanks Roy, I read that ball powder was invented for military because it burned cooler and barrels lasted longer due to that. I'll run some test loads in 1/2 grain jumps and see what I get and with temp variations running 30 to 35 degrees now should give me an idea. Weezer

I have no experience with ball powders but plan to try the new LR4000 from Alliant. It claims better velocities than other ball powders and the burn rate should be good for the 6.5-284.

I use Ramshot Magnum in my 6-284 and am
having good results

Not sure about temp sensitivity since Ive only
been shooting I warm Fl temps

To follow up.
I've been shooting the 6-284 with 107smk's and Ramshot Magnum. Getting 3400fps very comfortably from a 28" shilen barrel on a savage target action.
No problem with pressure spikes as the weather has really heated up here in
FL. Very hot and humid, still very stable with little vertical at long range.

This will be my antelope round this year.

I just had a friend chamber me anothret 6x284 rem 243 opened up. 85 sierra bthp 1/2 moa and under vel. 3450 with 53 grains imr 4350. The 100 nosler solid base reloader 22- 57 grains velocity 3350 3/4 to 1/2 moa. Tried some w-760 this morning with 87 sierra and with same vel as 4350.
mike

I would be happy to show my 6.5X284 results with 120 Ballistic Tips and 130 ABs.
I get "invalid file" when I try to upload. Excel spreadsheet 2003 version.

I have tried MagPro, Magnum and 4000MR ball powders with these bullets. I can get more velocity with VV N-560 by a 100 fps or more. The Magnum is almost as fast as Retumbo in the 6.5WSM with 130 Accubonds but has a higher SD and less accuracy. I will continue to evaluate 4000-MR in the 6.5X284. My e-mail [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.