6.5/284 acceptable accurracy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trb0, Aug 4, 2005.

1. trb0

trb0 Well-Known Member

what is a reasonable expectation for 5 shot groups at 500-600 yards with this setup. winchester model 70,26 in. shilen select match 1-8 inch twist,8.5x25x50mm leupold shooting 139 gr.lapua with lapua brass.the gun weighs about 13#s, and shoots 1/2 inch down to 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards.I've never shot long range before and would like an idea on what I can reasonably expect. thanks timbo

2. jb1000br

jb1000br Well-Known Member

from the bench, bipod?

600yd benchgun - 2" would make me pretty happy, 3" somewhat happy

bipod -- 4-5" mebbe would make me happy

7.5MOA UP will get you close at 500yd, not sure on my 600yd drop, but probably around 10.5MOA

YMMV,
    JB

3. trb0

trb0 Well-Known Member

I shot a 3.44 inch group at 560 yards but average about 5 inches at ranges from 560-600 yards using sandbags across a truck hood. Just wondering if this was close to acceptable or not? the conditions are not the best for accuracy but until we get some crops out of the fields I will have to shoot over the truck hood at extended ranges. thanks timbo

4. jb1000br

timbo -- that is nothing to scoff at for that bag setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You done good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

where are you located BTW -- i have several places to get LR opportunities if you are close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

5. trb0

trb0 Well-Known Member

I'm located in western Ky. and am new to the long range game. I've got a lot to learn but am having fun. I built this rig for a long range hunter, with long range paper punching a bonus and great practice as well.A local group shoots at 600 and 800 yards and I would like to get into this as well. I've used good components in the gun and just wanted to know what to expect. I'm a decent shot but am probably the weakest link in the setup,just need more experience at the longrange stuff. thanks timbo

6. jb1000br

Hi Timbo -- you might look up "wyatttt" at the benchrest.com forums -- he is in Ky and shoots LR -- his name is mike

send him an email, tell him i sent you -- you guys may be able to get together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

good luck,
    JB

7. wildcat

wildcat Well-Known Member

Timbo, not bad for shooting of the hood of your truck. Keep up the good work. I bet if you were shooting off a bench, with a good rest, your groups would be even better. Keep em tight, Wildcat