6.5/284 acceptable accurracy

trb0

what is a reasonable expectation for 5 shot groups at 500-600 yards with this setup. winchester model 70,26 in. shilen select match 1-8 inch twist,8.5x25x50mm leupold shooting 139 gr.lapua with lapua brass.the gun weighs about 13#s, and shoots 1/2 inch down to 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards.I've never shot long range before and would like an idea on what I can reasonably expect. thanks timbo

from the bench, bipod?

600yd benchgun - 2" would make me pretty happy, 3" somewhat happy

bipod -- 4-5" mebbe would make me happy

7.5MOA UP will get you close at 500yd, not sure on my 600yd drop, but probably around 10.5MOA

YMMV,
JB

I shot a 3.44 inch group at 560 yards but average about 5 inches at ranges from 560-600 yards using sandbags across a truck hood. Just wondering if this was close to acceptable or not? the conditions are not the best for accuracy but until we get some crops out of the fields I will have to shoot over the truck hood at extended ranges. thanks timbo

timbo -- that is nothing to scoff at for that bag setup /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif You done good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

where are you located BTW -- i have several places to get LR opportunities if you are close /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

I'm located in western Ky. and am new to the long range game. I've got a lot to learn but am having fun. I built this rig for a long range hunter, with long range paper punching a bonus and great practice as well.A local group shoots at 600 and 800 yards and I would like to get into this as well. I've used good components in the gun and just wanted to know what to expect. I'm a decent shot but am probably the weakest link in the setup,just need more experience at the longrange stuff. thanks timbo

Hi Timbo -- you might look up "wyatttt" at the benchrest.com forums -- he is in Ky and shoots LR -- his name is mike

send him an email, tell him i sent you -- you guys may be able to get together /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

good luck,
JB

Timbo, not bad for shooting of the hood of your truck. Keep up the good work. I bet if you were shooting off a bench, with a good rest, your groups would be even better. Keep em tight, Wildcat

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.