6.5-06 Ackley Improved Data, This is my data so far, What's yours?

Dano1

Hi All!

I've been playing with the 6.5-06 AI that I built 2yrs ago. As a little backgroud, It is a Remington 700 BDL, has a 26" Shilen Select match #4 countour 1-9" twist Barrel. Action is completely accurized and a trigger job has been done, trigger is 2lbs. Stock is a Fajien Laminate and is pillar bedded. Scope is a 6.5-20x50mm Leupold V-XIII with Target Turrets.

At first I wanted to shoot 140g Berger VLDs, it would not stabilize them, nor would it stabilize 140g Sierra Gamekings. Groups were no better than 1" at 100yds.

I decided to try 129g Hornady SST and Interbonds. Best velocity is achieved using RL-22. I tried Retumbo, but found it was too slow, and H4831 wasn't slow enough. I fired my test loads using formed Winchester 270 brass, in 90 degree weather. Top Velocity was 3322 FPS with slight pressure signs. Groups were 1/2".

I tried other types of brass to check for pressure and found that Hornady is a bit thicker than Winchester and Remington. With the same load, I had brass flow and I even blew a primer. In this rifle they need a decreased charge and can yeild the same with 1 less grain than Win or Rem brass.

I had the opportunity to shoot yesterday at 1000yds for the first time yesterday. I was able to put a bullet into a 4" square card board target on my second try. Winds were gusting 10-15 MPH. I'm Definately hooked!! Just need to learn more and get shooting. The rifle ended up shooting a 15" 3 shot group. Not too bad I thought.

Anyway, I'd like to hear about your 6.5-06 AI Loads, rifles and Longrange shooting.

Dan

Last edited:
AHHH!! poor guy lol I do play with the 6.5-06AI but only 140's outta this one...
Had it built for my dad 3-4yrs ago as a christmas gift, Mauser Large Ring, 26" Shilen CM bbl, Timney trigger, Ross Laminate Thumbhole. He had a 4-12 Leupy on there (tight wad) i just gave him a 6.5-20 Nikon.

25-06 brass, Shootin 140 XLC's @ 3000fps w/4350... (don't remember the specifics )

Last edited:
Outlaw,

I really wanted to shoot the 140g Bergers. I fought it all summer last year, but I couldn't get it to group. I'd usually have a flyer or two when shooting 5 shot groups.

I also found that this rifle fouls pretty quickly. 20 shots and I gotta clean it. Take quite a bit to get the carbon out. Any body else have problems like this. It this unique to the 6.5mm bore or RL-22?

If any body wants specifics, I'll be happy to post them.

Well Dan I to have 6.5 and I to have had some problems with pressures so turned the necks I to use 270 rp brass there is more to work with out there on the end,my barrel was built by PACNOR . I'm using h4831sc and getting 2750 with sd of 5 average group size of 6" at 1000,shooting the horaday 140gr. Amax moly. In the begging I kept blowing primers also found out that we had a real tight chamber,but it is on an old 03a3 action weighs in at 20 pounds.

Nate,

I ened up settling on a warm load with the 129g Hornadys, but not too hot to blow the primers. I have gotten it to shoot under 1/2" at 100yds. My father has taken a liking to this rifle and I recently passed it on to him..... I ended up having an emergency that required funding and he asked to buy the rifle. I'm still doing the loading for it, so it is in good hands. However this has allowed me to focus on my .30-06 AI which is actually way more accurate.

I am also playing with a custom 7mm STW which is my infatuation , but not my main baby....

Just installed a Vortex Viper Longrange 4.5-16x 44mm for my father, he's been reading everything he can find on Long Range Shooting and I think it has him obsessed, It's really fun to watch the guy get so excited since I introduced him to Long Range Shooting this last year.

BTW, I've turned the necks from day one as I has a match chamber cut for this rifle. Pressure spikes were more a result of the Hornady Brass Versus Remington and Winchester.

Regards,

Dan

I found that my pressure spikes with the RP brass was a lot lower. Everyone keeps telling that i need to try the 120 amax or the berger vld.
I just had 7mm STW made and still working on breaking it in, doesn't even have 50 rounds through it yet. It's a benchmade barrel. Three groove, 26 1/4 long, 9 twist. Made by Blagg Rifles in Pendleton, Oregon.
I've been looking into the Vortex scopes also, what do you think of those? I just ordered a scope, Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50mm (30mm) Side Focus. Anxiously waiting for it to arrive. Hoping it gets here before my next 1000 yd shoot. We have one coming up next weekend at our local range.
Do you have any load data from PO Ackley? Have you tried those lighter bullets at a 1000 yds? How did they do?

Nate,

Those A-maxes are great, but don't overlook the 129g SST or Interbond. They'll shoot the same once you get a load developed. I did it because this rifle is purpose built for longrange Muley hunting and the Occasional Cow Elk. Some times a Bonded bullet would be needed and the SST and The Interbond are identical. They shot well out to 1000yds and still had enough energy to punch through a 6" Piece of pine Fence post.

I don't have any P.O. Ackley Data, but what I've seen is really anemic and uses fast powders. The slowest powder he had was IMR 4831 at the time, so it was no suprise that he didn't think the cartridge was worth while.

My 7STW is somewhat of a mystery, as I found it this last fall in a gunshop and got a smoking deal on it. It is a full blown custom but was left in it's original stock. I don't know the gun smith, but he did an outstanding job. It's a 1962 Remington 700 Action, Don't know the make of the barrel but it's 27" plus the Vias muzzle brake it has a 1-9" Twist.

This is what it looked like when I got it:

Dans guns II 002.jpg

I have since put it into a H-S Precision Stock, I had to open up the recoil lug area and then rebed it. I also installed new bottom metal and installed the Leupold VX-3 6.5-20x50 SF with the Varmint hunters reticle using Warne Rings and Bases. (It's a great scope and works well for me at 1000yds) This is what it looks like now:

7 STW 4.JPG

Looking forward to good weather to shoot my test loads and stretch it's legs....

This is the 6.5-06 AI with the Vortex Scope:

Vortex Viper 1.jpg

It's what my father wanted, so I installed it for him. As far as I can tell, It's a high quality scope at a wonderful price. We haven't shot it yet, but it seems promising. Since Dad is at entry level Long Range Shooting, it seemed like the best option for him. I'll update the findings after we finish getting him set up and then start letting him shoot the Longer Ranges.

Later,

Dan

I am assembling the pieces to build a 6.5-06 or 6.5-270 Win. I have two 6.5 WSM rifles and a 6.5 -284 currently. I started with two M70 Westerners in .264 Win Mag.

The advantage of the 6.5-270 or '06 is the longer neck. You can size half way down and still have a section unsized to center the neck in the chamber. I want a longer neck than my 6.5-284.

I have also found that Vihtavuori N-560 power is well matched for the 6.5-284 case volume with 120 to 130 gr bullets. If all you want to shoot is these bullets, 130 AB, 129 SST, and 120 Btips then you do not need the larger case volume to achieve the same velocity.

What I need help with is dies. What are you using for sizing dies? What have you learned about sizing? I intend to use .270 brass from Norma (Nosler). I have access to annealing machine to extend case life.

I will use the reamer to cut a Wilson seating die from a blank. This is the only way to seat. I have 11 Wilson seating dies in rifle calibers.

Please help with your sizing die recommendations. I could use a reamer too.

I am assembling the pieces to build a 6.5-06 or 6.5-270 Win. I have two 6.5 WSM rifles and a 6.5 -284 currently. I started with two M70 Westerners in .264 Win Mag.

The advantage of the 6.5-270 or '06 is the longer neck. You can size half way down and still have a section unsized to center the neck in the chamber. I want a longer neck than my 6.5-284.

I have also found that Vihtavuori N-560 power is well matched for the 6.5-284 case volume with 120 to 130 gr bullets. If all you want to shoot is these bullets, 130 AB, 129 SST, and 120 Btips then you do not need the larger case volume to achieve the same velocity.

What I need help with is dies. What are you using for sizing dies? What have you learned about sizing? I intend to use .270 brass from Norma (Nosler). I have access to annealing machine to extend case life.

I will use the reamer to cut a Wilson seating die from a blank. This is the only way to seat. I have 11 Wilson seating dies in rifle calibers.

Please help with your sizing die recommendations. I could use a reamer too.

Sizing initially was done to make the first loads by running .270 Brass part way into a .260 remington die. I later ordered a set of dies from RCBS and this is what I currently use for loading the 6.5-06AI. Check to see if RCBS doesn't already have that one on hand.

The reamer came from Dave Kiff of Pacific Tool and Gauge (PTG) If the 6.5-.270 Doesn't exhist, He will design one for you. I'm guessing that it would and that he can make one for you.

Annealing isn't necessary as only one minor sizing step is required and if using virgin brass. You may want to turn your necks as well.

Hope this helps,

Dan

RCBS dies are rarely accurate. Take the stem out of the bullet seater and turn it upside down. Put a VLD bullet in the stem point down. I will bet that the stem makes contact on the point rather than the ogive of the bullet. The button on the size die is at the end of the decapping stem so it will have the least support and most wobble possible. So we will not use the button and avoid 25-06 brass with RCBS dies. The size die body without the stem might resize OK but if you check for concentricity with a runout tool I would bet on Redding or Forster dies being closer to true than RCBS. Besides RCBS dies are expensive!

I can come up with two plans for resizing 6.5-06 from 270 Win or 25-06 brass.

Redding makes bushing dies in 25-06 Ackley Improved. That die might work with 6.5 bushings. For example I use a .296 bushing in the 6.5-284. A titanium carbide drill bit might be necessary to open up the neck. It is a hardened die so this is not a walk in the park. Cost is $75.19 at Precision Reloading
Precision Reloading: 25-06 Remington Improved 40°

The second is CH4D has a 6.5-06 die set offered in 4 shoulder angles, listed for $82.
Caliber List : CH4D

Has anyone tried either of these or ideas or have an opinion?

I have a set of the custom Redding dies that I ordered from Grafs, expensive. They work okay but the sizing die is a small base die that works the brass too much for my liking. I then bought a hornady 6.5 neck sizer that I use quite a bit but eventually they all needed full sized. After sticking a couple of cases in the small base die I purchased the 25-06 Ackley Redding bushing die. This die works perfect for my rifle. Not sure of the bushings off the top of my head but I think .288 works good for 270 brass and .286 sounds right for 25-06 rem brass. I did not have to do any modifications for the die to work right.

Outstanding. Thanks fellow Bronze Member.

Note that the bushing dies come in neck only and full length. I have only purchased full length in the Redding dies so far. It still seems that a dedicated full length die is necessary after about 3-4 firings to push back at the junction of the shoulder and reduce the diameter of the neck below the bushing. This is more noticeable in the 1885 falling block than in the Model 70 bolt action. The greater camming power of the bolt action is apparent.

I have a Forster bushing die that pushes the shoulder every time, but does not fool with the base of the case where it expands just above the extractor groove. It works with a tight chamber. I have not used it for even 200 rounds yet.

I am finally shooting my 6.5-06 AI .291 Neck.

New Model 70 MOA trigger. Shown here fireforming. Bell & Calson stock was stiffened with 4 layers of graphite fibers in the forend. The Model 70 recoil lug was bedded with Marine Tex gray and Accuglass and Accuglass Gel were used on the sides of the action, the rear tang lug etc. The stock was sent to me (I ordered the upscale pad and long length) from Bell & Carlson with a banana curve to the barrel channel and action inlet. I sent it back and B &C held the rifle for 5 months then returned it as is. They said that the warrantee did not apply because I inletted it for the one piece floor plate. B&C are junk and the Company is not even proud of them. I will send you the letter and I will wait for a McMillan next time I want a thumbhole composite stock. It took a lot of body work to fix the factory inlet. The blank weighed 3 pounds before I started. Now it weights 3.2 pounds. I have wood Model 70 stocks that are lighter. Good thing I got their lightweight model without the aluminum bedding block.

After this session the MOA trigger was replaced with the Timney aftermarket and adjusted to 24 ounces.

For load development, the rifle wears a Sightron 10-50X60mm scope in Warne detachable rings.

I will be using the 129 Hornady SST and 130 Berger VLDs. The twist in the Rock Creek 5R barrel is 1 in 9. I shoot the 140s in one of my 6.5 WSMs

I think that VV N-560, MagPro, H-1000 and IMR 7828 will be the best powders.

MagPro puzzles me, it is the best velocity powder with 140 gr in the 270 WSM but is too fast for 6.5 - 284 with the 130 gr bullets. It behaves like IMR 4831 there.

Attachments

• P1020221.jpg
    P1020221.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 638