6-284 project

wildcat

Well, the new 6-284 project is about to begin. I received my Action and Barrel last week, so it's time to give it to the gunsmith to begin the work. I am waiting for my stock, McMillan, it has been around 19 weeks from when I ordered it. I spoke with McMillan today and they said I will have it by next week, I HOPE! After discussing it with my gunsmith and taking advise from others on this board, I have decided to go with a tight neck 6-284. I will go with a 272nk, this sounds like the way to go after talking to many experienced people. I neck turn my 6.5x284, so I wont mind turning for my 6-284. With a tight neck, I know I will get the accuracy I want from this rifle. I know its more brass prep, but that's the fun in owning a custom high tech long range rifle. I know I have mentioned the specs before, however, I will mention them for those who are curious;

1. Caliber-6x284 w/272nk
2. Action-Nesika K, 1.450 dia, w/drop bolt and tactical knob
3. Barrel-Krieger 30", 1-12 twist, 1.250 tappered to 1.00 at muzzle
4. Stock-McMillan A-5 w/ADJ LOP and Thumbwheel cheek piece
5. Vias Muzzle Brake
6. Jewell 2oz Trigger
7. Davidson w/20 MOA added
8. Kelby 30mm rings
9. Nightforce 12x42x56mm NXS w/Double Dot

I went with a 1-12 twist barrel, because I will be shooting the 75grn and 87grn V-MAX. I am wanting some major splat factor with this rig. A 75grn V-MAX traveling close to 4000fps will blow the varmints apart and the 87grn V-MAX travling at around 3800fps will have splat factor even at longer ranges.

The color of the stock is matt black, however, I am having a hard time deciding if I want to coat the action, barrel, ect. I was think making the rifle all Matt Black. I was hoping you guys could give me some opinions about coating colors. I would love to see some pictures of your rifles that have been coated. I was also thinking about going with an Olive Drab (OD) color coat on the Action, Barrel, ect. Suggestions or pictures would be great. Thanks!!

Wildcat

Hi wildcat
what are the advantages of this chambering,and what is the barrel life likely to be.
thanks
Colin

PS sounds like a good stick.

When I was thinking about this project, I was originally going to go with a 6mm Ackley Improved. My goal was to be able to push a 75grn V-MAX to around 4000fps and an 87grn V-MAX to around 3800fps. However, after further investigation it was aparent that the 6mm Ackley Improved was not going to get the above mentioned velocities. I began looking at the 6-284, I found that it would give me the velocities I wanted with 75grn and 87grn V-MAX. Plus, case prep will be much easier and I already have a 6.5x284, so I have lots of 6.5x284 Lupa Brass. I will only have to neck down and neck turn. Another plus with this chambering is the quality of brass available.

Barrel life? I am sure it's not going to be the longest life of a barrel, but it sure is going to be accurate and fun. This rifle is going to be my dedicated 600 to 800 yard rifle. As soon as she is built, I will post pics.

Wildcat

hi wildcat
there seems to be a bit of interest in this chambering just starting,(over the pond)the idea of pushing your 87g at that speed is this going to be better than a heavier bullet for wind drift,or is it just for the splat factor???
i look forward to hearing and seeing your reports
thanks
Colin

[ QUOTE ]
pushing your 87g at that speed is this going to be better than a heavier bullet for wind drift

[/ QUOTE ]

nope

d-a

COL48, no, the bigger 105 or 107grn bullets will buck the wind better. However, you lose the splat factor. The 87grn V-MAX has a BC of .400, not bad for a poly tip bullet. I have shot many of yotes with the Match Grade bullets, such as the Matchkings, they just put a small hole in the animal, but when you hit them with a V-MAX it leaves a massive wound. Also, when you hit the varmints with the V-MAX, it's an awesome sight. The mist factor is incredible. The reason I will be using the poly tip bullets in this rig, 75grn and 87grn V-MAX, is because I have a 6.5x284 that I shoot with the 139grn Lupa Scenar bullets which have a BC of .615. So if the wind gets bad, I will go to the 6.5x284. The V-MAX bullet is awesome for varmint work, I should retain pretty good energy and velocity with the 75grn and 87grn V-MAX. As I mentioned before, the 87grn V-MAX has .400 BC and the 75grn V-MAX has a BC of .330. The 87grn V-MAX traveling 3750fps will give the Match Grade Bullets a run for their money in the BC department. This rifle is being designed around the 75grn and 87grn V-MAX, it is going to be my dedicated varmint rig from 100 to 800 yards. I have a 220 Swift that I use for 100 to 500 yard shots and a 223 for the 100 to 300 yard work. Having all these different varmint rifles allows me to keep my barrels freash and cool. My 6.5x284 is for shooting varmints from 100 yards out to 1500 yards, and my 338 Yogi is of course for the 1000 yard to 2000 yard shots. My gunsmith thinks we can get this rig to shoot under 1/4 groups at 100 yards. My 220 Swift, that he built, consistanly shoots groups in the .2's and .1's at 100 yards, and I shot those groups with a 40grn Nosler Ballistic Tip traveling around 4300fps. My 6.5x284 is an awesome shooter, so I am hoping the 6-284 is just as good. I have heard some awesome things about this chambering, so I can't wait to have one. I will post pics and group info as soon as I get her. I think she will be completed by late November early December. Have a good one!

Wildcat

Wildcat, I shoot a 26" 1 in 10 6/284 with a .266 neck... too tight your will be way better. Best velocity for 85 grain bullets has been 3640 ft/secs. More than books with IMR 4831, F210m's and Win Brass. Have some 200 Norma 6.5/284's but they are for the big boy. Good luck and have fun.

[ QUOTE ]
Will the 75 V-max hold together @ 4000 fps?

[/ QUOTE ] I shoot the 75 vmax out of my 243 Ackley at 3860 with no problems. I am working on a load for my 6-284 with the 70Nos BT. Dont know the velocity on it yet.

hi wildcat
sounds like she is going to be one hell of a stick.
i would imagine that with that set up she should be printing in the .2s or .1s as well.look forward to hearing about her
thanks for the info
Colin

308sako, I am thinking I will be able to get around 3750 to 3800fps with 87grn V-MAX with my 30" barrel. I am really looking forward to shooting this bullet at those speeds. The 87grn V-MAX has a pretty good BC, .400. so it's going to be a excellent long range poly tipped bullet. I am glad I went with the 272 neck, I was going to go with a 268 neck, but I listen to my gunsmith and others on this board. I can't wait to hit a squirrel with this rig.

Wildcat

Sounds like a great project. Anxious for the reports when she is done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.