6-284 and 105gr bullet

yotehunter243

I know this question has been beat into the ground and i have googled, googled, and googled some more on load info. for this caliber. Everything i find is in the lower weight class or the thread starts off and after 2 or 3 post they start listing 75-87gr bullets and brag on speed. I am having a this 6-284 built on a R700 LA and is being built by Benchmark Barrels. They are going to twist on a 27" Light Palma contour barrel. I already have all my component ( 105gr VLD, Nosler Custom 6.5-284 brass and Redding Dies) Now i just need to decide on Powder and primers. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Yotehunter

i have read alot of good about the reloader but i am not familiar with it. I have always used Hogdon powders. Is it temp. sensitive? All the post that i did read with good velocity readings and accuracy were using RL22

There are a handful of us on here using Fed 210M's & Ramshot Magnum (I'm using the 107smk) Very accurate & my experience shows great consistency. Single Digit ES is quite achievable & velocities knocking on the 3400fps door have been approached (Lapua Brass). Best group I can recall right now is 1.75" at 500yds (on steel). Burn charts show right between H-1000 & Retumbo IIRC.

A safe starting load would be
54.5grns
COAL of 3.100

^^^Good place to start & work up, velocity is around 3125 from a 28* BBL

thanks for the info. Outlaw, your info, is exactly what i have been wanting. It gives me a good starting point.

Welcome, keep in mind, you will more than likely have to fiddle with seating depths, especially if you are going to use the VLD.

Shoot 52 grains of reloader 22. fed 210 mach primer

Start @ 48 grins with R22 or you could be in for a bad surprize @ 52 grains.
My 6-284 will blow primers above 90 deg with 50 grains! I would try any other powder than R22......

I shoot a 12 twist 6mm-284 and have great results with RL17. "Ironworker" over at 6mmbr.com gave me some good advice on load data, he shoots a fast twist 6mm-284 along with mag primers. Seems mag primers are key to lighting a good hot flame in that fat case.

I shoot a 12 twist 6mm-284 and have great results with RL17. "Ironworker" over at 6mmbr.com gave me some good advice on load data, he shoots a fast twist 6mm-284 along with mag primers. Seems mag primers are key to lighting a good hot flame in that fat case.

Made me think of the short mags out there... most use "standard" primers, supposedly due to the differences in the powder column. I am in no way saying you're wrong & throwing some mag primers into your testing could prove worthwhile...

Just thinking out loud Bob!

I got very similar velocities just under 3400 fps with RL-22 and Retumbo and the 107 sierra from my 6mm-284. Lapua brass and fed 210 match primers.

The barrel is a 30" 1 in 7.5 bartlein built with the intention of shooting the 115 DTAC. DTACs wouldn't shoot so left with a twist that was reported to unravel the 115 VLD. Heard the 107 sierra could survive the twist and they did. Was happy with the results. About the time my supply was running out Berger came out with the 105 hybrid.

Switching to the 105 hybrids was an excellent move. They have a very high BC and true to Berger's hype not sensitive to seating depth. Decided to try seating deep enough to fit a SA Rem 700 with wyatt's mag box. Bullet jump is .065". Worked up with Retumbo for 3360 fps with fantastic accuracy.

This makes the third hybrid I have tried in as many calibers. All were easy to find accurate loads without the frustrating search for the best seating depth. Doubt I'll ever shoot a VLD again.

Thats funny i put some hybrids through my 6-284 and it would not shoot very good .4 average. switched to 107 SMK and bingo .1 and low .2. it just seemed that the berger could not handle the 8 twist at 3200 and above. Now my 6br loves the hybrids at 2850.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts