6-284/107SMK Antelope w/Tyler Sims Outfitters

Agreed! Anything to get us out into the fields and stave off having to clean the garage out!

"Not this weekend honey; I've got to go out with the boyz and do some very serious testing. Ballistic science and all; you wouldn't understand it though: very complicated. And boring too.

What do you mean, "Why all the beer then?" Hey; it's a dry heat out there, and my kidney stones need to be well-flushed, darling. You don't want me in pain now do you? I didn't think so!!"

And off you go.

As to my own loading research, I had kind of pushed things to the limits some years ago, just after I'd built that rifle. I was, as I recall, running up to about 63+ gr of RL22 in that 6.5-06AI, and it dutifully returned about 3400+ fps from a 140 gr. All OK until I opened the bolt and the primers just, ker-plunk, fell out.... One of my test loads required that I wait a moment until the recevier and brass cooled down before I could coax it out of the chamber! What a nut I was!

Now, I go for about 3250 fps as semi-sane. Fast enough to be sure!

BTW, slightly off topic, but.... I'm looking around to obtain a nice minimalist trailer to tow behind my Banks-modified '96 F350 Crew $X$ (sorry; that's 4 X 4... but then again, maybe the $$$ is more accurate......) 7.3 Power Stroke. It's now sporting about 275 hp and 480 lb-ft of ground-rippling torque! It should pull any smallish trailer without even noticing it!

All this soz I don't have to get down on my aging, decrepit prayer bones and peg a tent into the prairies ever again. Especially in a mid-summer prairie rain and hail storm! Nothing big and fancy, no slide-outs, but perhaps a Toy-Box option so I can also get a Polaris side-by so I can go and find, and then haul back, my bull buffalo/antelope/white-tail, etc.

I also do The Quigley BPC shoot on Father's Day and it's a long haul from where he graciously lets us camp, on down to the firing line, and my arthur-itis don't like it so much, esp. hauling my Sharps, ammo, cleaning gear, etc.

Ain't it a bitch; you get to where you n ave the time and resources and firearms to go hunting, but then you can't just fly about like a young coyote any more! Sheesh!

Anyone got any good ideas? There should be a whole lot of nice slightly used units out there given the economy right now!

BTW #2: I had a customer have me rebbl his old Winchester Mdl 70 a few years back, and I spec'd out the reamer from Manson. It's a tighter-than-SAAMI spec, and VERY concentric piece, for 6mm/244 Remington Ackley, which could make up into a very nice, hyper-accurate long range target or varmint rifle. I may do one just for fun and as a technology demonstrator, with let's say a medium hvy 28 inch Kreiger match bbl, on a Wichita or Nesika Bay action and a Jewell trigger. That ought to put a 100 gr into 0.25" for 10 shots, no? Boringly hyper-accurate, I"d say.

Last edited:
Agreed! Anything to get us out into the fields and stave off having to clean the garage out!

"Not this weekend honey; I've got to go out with the boyz and do some very serious testing. Ballistic science and all; you wouldn't understand it though: very complicated. And boring too.

What do you mean, "Why all the beer then?" Hey; it's a dry heat out there, and my kidney stones need to be well-flushed, darling. You don't want me in pain now do you? I didn't think so!!"

And off you go....{QUOTE]

ROFLMAO!! Thank yo for that, I needed that laugh... I also shoot the 6mmAI, but I suffered from some rectal/cranial inversion when choosing components, 1 went with a 1-12 twist.. no heavies for me :(. It will however put the 85grainers into the .3's @ 3500fps... good enough i guess:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.