6-284/107SMK Antelope w/Tyler Sims Outfitters

RockZ

6-284/107SMK Antelope w/Tyler Sims Outfitters-PIC added

I just got back from my Wyoming Antelope hunt with Tyler Sims Outfitters.
We had an awesome hunt and were treated very well.
Tyler has a great operation and is a very young and enthusiastic outfitter, as are his guides.
He provides first class service, lodging and meals.
He does everything he can to serve his clients.
In fact he is the only outfitter I have returned to hunt with, and that says volumes.

I was thinking of getting together a group of folks(possibly 10) from longrangehunting.com
and going out there next year.
It would be a blast and we could all talk shooting and check out all of the different long range rigs.
It could be the first annual longrangehunting.com antelope hunt.

My buddy and I have been the only hunters who were proficient in long range shooting.
It would be awesome to have a bunch of us out there.
There would be great camraderie plus some friendly competition.
Maybe we can even get a discount .
If anyone is interested let me know and I will get the ball rolling.
I figure it is never too early to plan for next year.
Plus I am still psyched about the hunt!

I was shooting a 6-284 with 107 SMK's at 3400fps.

It is a Savage Precision Target Action, 28" Shilen Prefit Bull Barrel, and Bell and Carlson Medalist stock.

I was concerned about using a single shot, but it was nearly as fast to get a second shot off with it as it is with a repeater. With a little practice it is amazing how smooth the transition can be.

I have been very interested in how the 107SMK's would perform on game, especially at longer ranges and felt this would be a perfect test.

We were originally about 1200yds from the buck and we kept stalking closer to try to get a range.
The terrain was flat and it was 1pm and very sunny. The mirage was also very bad.
I was using a Leica 1200 and my buddy had a Swarovski.
We slowly stalked closer and closer and neither of us could get a range until 750yds.
I wasted to make a 1000yd shot but we just couldn't range it.

I dropped down with the bipod deployed and set up quickly for the shot.
Very still day 0-5mph, but wicked mirage(unlike last year where it was cold and blowing 30mph)

I only had to dial in 10.75MOA with a 100yd zero.
I shot the antelope at 750yds and it dropped on the spot. I hit him right in the crease behind the shoulder. He dropped immediately and then stood up so I shot him again just to make sure.
I wasn't sure how the bullet had performed and I didn't want him to run off.
Two quick shots on target at 750yds in heavy mirage,with a 6mm. I was pumped

Upon inspection of the buck:
I found the second shot was unnecessary as the lungs were just turned to jelly,
it was very devastating.
I recovered the bullet from the second shot but lost it in transit, it mushroomed nicely and the lead core was dislodged but still sitting on the copper core. Not sure about total weight retention but the damage was pretty nasty.

The exit hole from the first shot was about 1-1.5" in diameter. It was very impressive , especially at that range.

I feel that the 6-284, or 6-06 class of cartridges is the perfect fit for antelope. It carries 1000ft-lbs at 1000yds and the drop at 1000yds is only 17MOA with a 100yd zero.
I'm surprised more people aren't shooting them.
Recoil is very light and it's possible to spot hits without a muzzle brake.
With a brake it would have virtually no recoil be a perfect rifle for young or recoil sensitive shooters.

With the ballistic performance you get, I feel it gives the best results with the least punishment.

It gives the most bang for the buck!(I couldn't resist the pun)

I am very pleased with the results.

Thanks for reading!

RockLope3.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
great post enjoyed your story. I play with 6x 284's own 2 both 243's opened up by a friend of mine that pionered that caliber in our area in the mid 70's. He is an excellant shot and has taken numerous whitetail, mule deer with it out to 800 yards using an older dot system from premier reticles when Dick thomas was alive. Since 1978 he has taken 22 bull elk with the 6x 284 out to 700 yards using the 100 gr. nosler solid base that they dont make anymore. He owns a gunshp and had the contacts to get severl k before end of production. He has got numerous of hunters in my area using this caliber, theroy is the devasting shock occuring giving great kills. I know this has been argued a lot but i was a witness last fall to his 6x7 bull he killed in Co. He fired 3 shots at this bull around 700 yards walking hitting twice in the guts. He stated here was 2 bad hits but yielded dead elk. Could i have your data for your load getting 3400 and what twist? Im currently using sierra 85 bthp 3500 fps for whitetail in my area.

mike

Mike,
Thanks. It was a very enjoyable hunt.
I'm glad to see more folks using the hotrod 6mm.
Of course I do have rifles in all different calibers ,from ruger 204 to 338 lapua improved.
But this year I decided to try something different and I am glad I did.

I am using 60.5 gr Ramshot Magnum [email protected]."w/107SMK.
It is well off the lands as well. The oal on the lands is 2.925"
It has a 1-8" twist.
I have an ES of 10 and it shoots 5 shots at 565yds with only 1-1.5" of vertical.
It is a very deadly long range load.

Last edited:
ICANHIT,
No roids, just the sunlight hitting just right.LOL!
Is that your winery?
I spend alot of time in NY.I may just have to get up there and drink some wine!

Last edited:
Treebark,
That is an awesome rig. It would definitely do the job on antelope.
Of course that 300RUM would work as well. It would blow them off their feet!
It would be great to have you out there.
I hope we can get something worked out for next year. It would be a blast since there are very few serious long range shooters in camp.
If we could get the whole camp to ourselves our guides would just love it.
Rigth now my buddy and I have the long range record with Tyler at 750 and 825yds.
Next year the 1000yd mark has to be broken.
I'll keep you guys posted.

maybe you can stuff your buddy Oliveralan into your duffle bag too!LOL

Treebark,
That is an awesome rig. It would definitely do the job on antelope.
Of course that 300RUM would work as well. It would blow them off their feet!
It would be great to have you out there.
I hope we can get something worked out for next year. It would be a blast since there are very few serious long range shooters in camp.
If we could get the whole camp to ourselves our guides would just love it.
Rigth now my buddy and I have the long range record with Tyler at 750 and 825yds.
Next year the 1000yd mark has to be broken.
I'll keep you guys posted.

maybe you can stuff your buddy Oliveralan into your duffle bag too!LOL

I'm pretty sure a western hunt is in the cards for next year. Having someone like you that knows the territory already would be helpful.

Don't let oliveralan's humor fool you. He's a cool kid that can shoot!
Welcome to the Pictures Page

Does your outfitter have a website?

The outfitter is Tyler Sims and he is a sponsor here, but has kept a low profile.
I believe Tyler spoke to Len and Tyler is continuing his sponsorship.
He runs a great operation and is very service oriented. He is newly married 24 year old who wants to run a great operation. He is very responsive to customer feedback also.
He has a great compliment of guides who are also very fun to hunt with.
He has about 100,000 acres of private land under lease.
Food and lodging is also very good.
I have hunted with him for 3 years and his operation just keeps getting better.

It would be awesome to get all of us longrange hunters together.

His website is tylersims.com

RockZ, what unit did you hunt? I hunt around Casper and around Saratoga/Reserve for goats in the fall.
Congratulations on the nice goat.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.