6-06

TheFishBox

Does anyone know where I can get a 6-06 reamer and go gauge? I am looking to build one of these but the smith I am using doesn't have the reamer So I would like to buy one instead of paying the 75 dollar reamer fee I think, just looking to get a price.

Dave Manson @ mansonreamers.com will make you a solid pilot for about $100. I also have used pacifictoolandgauge.com for custom reamers. You can usually sell them afterwards for most of what you paid, the smith might even want to buy it.

I don't see the 6mm/06 listed in Mansons' "standard" chambering reamer list. Wildcats and 'specials' list for $170 for solid pilot, $200 for removable pilot. Solid piloted reamers are 'hobbiests' tools, mostly. It's amazing how much damage can be done to the rifling where that fixed pilot rides while chambering. The .25/06 is considered over bore and barrel life reflects that. The 6mm/06 would be even more over bore to the point, that to get any life from the barrel at all the barrel would need to be Melonite/Black Nitride treated, another added cost. In all practicality, the 6mm Rem., in its Ackley version, is tremendously more efficient and would be alot easier on barrels (I still would recommend Melonite/Blk. Nitriding). I, for one, wouldn't care to have a 6mm/06 in my tooling inventory, unless I had half a dozen customers commited to building. "Speed ain't everything!"

I don't see the 6mm/06 listed in Mansons' "standard" chambering reamer list. Wildcats and 'specials' list for $170 for solid pilot, $200 for removable pilot. Solid piloted reamers are 'hobbiests' tools, mostly. It's amazing how much damage can be done to the rifling where that fixed pilot rides while chambering. The .25/06 is considered over bore and barrel life reflects that. The 6mm/06 would be even more over bore to the point, that to get any life from the barrel at all the barrel would need to be Melonite/Black Nitride treated, another added cost. In all practicality, the 6mm Rem., in its Ackley version, is tremendously more efficient and would be alot easier on barrels (I still would recommend Melonite/Blk. Nitriding). I, for one, wouldn't care to have a 6mm/06 in my tooling inventory, unless I had half a dozen customers commited to building. "Speed ain't everything!"

The voice of reason!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.