546 YRD 3 shot group .......

bigbuck

Well I got up at 4:30 this morning just so I could drive out to the hunting club and drag out the chrono and zero in at 200 then i was hoping to get out to 700 yards but dad hasn't bush hogged yet ( I think he doesn't like me shooting on the hunting club all summer, he's the one that got me hooked into reloading and shooting in the first place:rolleyes: ) Anyways back to the thread it was too early and cloudy so my chrono wouldn't read my shots well it read the .45 ACP but the ultra was a wee bit faster than 802 :D So i got er dialed in at 200 and relocated the target to 546 Yards . Now it has been several months since I had out the kestrel and dell pocket pc , you may not believe this but i completey guessed my MV and pluged in the real time conditions which were

Altitude 0

Temp 73

Pressure 28.8

Relative humidity 87

MV 2870

I dialed up 8.50 MOA it actually called for 8.75 but I was at the top of a canyon style layout . This turned out to be a correct call as elevation was on the money i didn't allow for the wind and it was obvious .

I didn't do as well as had hoped for and I planned on posting a pic of the target but I can't remeber my pass word to photobucket dang it !!

3 shot group measured 4 INCHES center to center . I had one shot go off before I was ready but i was still on the target fairly close I just don't feel 100 % on that shot so I figure this group will improve once I learn how to shoot :)
Oh this is the first time I have ever shot a group of any kind at 546 Yards.

If i can ever figure out how to post a pic I plan on posting the target and my rifle photo.

Thanks for reading/laughing it's all good :D

BigBuck

794.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
:DNothin like actually hitting what your aiming at when your shooting out of your comfort zone huh:D. Gives you a warm fuzzy feelin'. Now all you gotta do is get consistant at it. Good job. I wouldnt call it ''guessing'' on the muzzle velocity, more like coming to an educated conclusion to the theoretical possibilities, concerning aproximate average velocities of the particular load combination, elevation, temperatures, and air densities involved....... Wow, That sounded smart for ''guessing'' :D.
Wingin' it rocks. hahahahahahaha It will be interesting to see what your actual avg M.V. is compared to your ''educated guess'' when comparing dial ups.
Good job BigBuck

:DNothin like actually hitting what your aiming at when your shooting out of your comfort zone huh:D. Gives you a warm fuzzy feelin'. Now all you gotta do is get consistant at it. Good job. I wouldnt call it ''guessing'' on the muzzle velocity, more like coming to an educated conclusion to the theoretical possibilities, concerning aproximate average velocities of the particular load combination, elevation, temperatures, and air densities involved....... Wow, That sounded smart for ''guessing'' :D.
Wingin' it rocks. hahahahahahaha It will be interesting to see what your actual avg M.V. is compared to your ''educated guess'' when comparing dial ups.
Good job BigBuck

Thanks for the compliment winmag. Hey can you tell me how to figure out my actual MV ? I have my target here at work and I have my dell pc here as well i got just enough since to know that i don't know anything LOL. I've got a picture on my computer of the target but I can't post it anyone willing to help an ole uneducated hill billy out ? You know one of em fellers with a slooow southerrn drawwl HE HE

BigBuck

BigBuck

email it to winmag. I'll bet he'll post it.

To determine MV, enter the atmospheric data into exbal or whatever.

Enter the bc of the bullet.

Enter a MV and look at the correction generated for the distance you shot.

Adjust the MV to get spot on with the calc'd drop.

Bet you come up real close to 2870. :):)

Nice, I bet that RUM was happy to get it's legs stretched a bit!!!:D Photobucket got me the other day and I spent a half hour guessing till I got into it, then I had Firefox remember the password this time :rolleyes:

You need to get that range mowed down or move to MT!!!:D:D:D

email it to winmag. I'll bet he'll post it.

To determine MV, enter the atmospheric data into exbal or whatever.

Enter the bc of the bullet.

Enter a MV and look at the correction generated for the distance you shot.

Adjust the MV to get spot on with the calc'd drop.

Bet you come up real close to 2870. :):)

Thanks Roy . i hope someone posts it for me just to see how close elevation was i just now measured it and i've got two of the three shots within 1 1/2 inches from DEAD center . Man i'm hooked I can literally feel my wallet getting lighter bullets/powder/primers oh mygun)

Nice, I bet that RUM was happy to get it's legs stretched a bit!!!:D Photobucket got me the other day and I spent a half hour guessing till I got into it, then I had Firefox remember the password this time :rolleyes:

You need to get that range mowed down or move to MT!!!:D:D:D

+1 on the move to Montana . You would not believe what i had to go through to get the 546 YARDS . I had joined photobucket when i had an older computer but i couldn't send pics with it so i never used it and thus forgot my password . Now I cannot rejoin because it reconnises my old address can i create another password on photobucket ? i've got my target in the office along with my rifle :D I pick it up every once in a while and look out the window I hope a customer doesn't walk in during my dry fire session LOL Just kidding about the pointing out the window .

bigBuck

I put your pic in your original post. Nice shooting.:)

Thank you very much for the help :)

If you will notice the frame thats around the target it is from an old picture framing company I have a relative that has givin me two tripods that they desplay paintings on it works great for target stands and chrony stands when i learn how to post my own i'll post pics of the set up .

Thanks again.

Bigbuck

How come everyone always misses the penny/dime/quarter/whatever.:D

Yur hooked!!!!!:)

HA YUR right I AM ! I have tried everything but i can't get that one thats by itself to get any closer to that quarter . One of these days i'm going to shoot a target like broz and the rest of you guys but I'm going to need a few more pound of powder and practice :D

BB

HA YUR right I AM ! I have tried everything but i can't get that one thats by itself to get any closer to that quarter . One of these days i'm going to shoot a target like broz and the rest of you guys but I'm going to need a few more pound of powder and practice :D

BB

I think we need to get Len to make some 3in replica quarters for us and sell them in the longrange store!!!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.