53gr V-max in 223

112Savage

Hi guys I just wanted to run something past ya'll that has been nagging at me for the past few weeks.
I recently reloaded some once fired Lake City '07,'08 223 rem brass using a lee collet die with 0.002 neck tension. I used the new 53 grain V-max and 26.2 grains of IMR 8208xbr. I know this is above maximum according to Hodgdon's data for the "53gr Sierra MK" by 0.8 grains and that is what is nagging me. The COAL is 2.255 and it is being shot in a stock Savage 12 VLP
When working up loads I never saw any signs of overpressure. I examined each fired case very carefully. I currently don't have a chronograph buy may buy one in the near future. Could I have a dangerous load that is not showing itself in the primer or brass?

thanks in advance

P.S. Primer is rem 7.5 and I worked up to this load. I found one "node" at 25.4gr and found the next and better one at 26.2 where the groups were slightly tighter with more velocity. (have your cake and eat it too?)

Last edited:
Hi 112Savage, i am using the 53 grn V-Max in my .223 AI and am loading an Australian powder called (Benchmark 1). It is roughly(if I can believe my comparison chart) equivalent to H322, faster than IMR 3031 and slower than IMR4198. I load 27 27.5 and 28 grains respectively over Rem 7.5 primers. My COAL is 2.400, accuracy is V good at better than .5 for all loads. Speeds over a F1 chrony were (approx) 3630fps, 3690 and 3740. I know these are getting to be pretty warm loads as I have some primer cratering but NOT flattened primers. The cratering could be caused by too large a firing pin hole in the bolt. I have measured my head diam just forward of the extractor groove and have no expansion there.
I am not familiar with IMR 8208 xbr so don't know how fast/ slow that powder is. It would seem that if your primers are not flattened or you have no cratered primers or split necks that you are within tolerances for your gun. I must add that these indicators are by no means concrete evidence of acceptable pressure but are usually pretty good in that regard. I forgot to add, my rifle is a Ruger VT with 26 inch barrel.
Good luck with your loads.
Peter.
PS my original load was 30.0 grins of BM1 under a 40 Vmax for over 4025 fps and never had any pressure problems.

thanks for your reply, I bought a chrony and have tested this load at 600 yds. My horizontal dispersion was amazingly tight, but the vertical was in the 4" range. I think I need to either tweak the seating depth a little or lower the charge slightly to get rid of the vertical. With my 26" barrel I'm hoping to be going around 3400fps but I havn't gotten to use the chrony yet. One thing is for sure, it will put down a groundhog either way :D

I load my 53 vmax to the lands like a vld. I use 24.9 of benchmark and have Remington primers. I had a .342 group and .222 group out of my 223. I love the bullet and had several other loads at .604 and under, but my coal is much longer than 2.25 it's 2.4 and some change, I don't have my info right here in front of me. I have not seen any pressure signs and I went a good bit above the suggested max and still saw no signs of pressure. I had some good loads with varget as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.