.510 Allen Mag @ 1,000 y.

RDM416

The big girl was feeling neglected sitting in the gun vault, so I took her out for a little run today.

.510 AM NF NXS 8-32X56 750 grain Amax @ 2700 fps. AR50 platform

These first two pics are my bench........ it's not much to look at, but it is solid!

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0306.jpg

This is a look down my range. The first target is at 100, the second at 300. You can just see a dark spot in the gap at the far trees at the base of the hill. That is my 1000 yard gong. The 300 yard target stand was repositioned to 1000 for the shots in the pics. I don't shoot the gong with the 50, been there done that and had re-weld my chains on after it knocked it about 3 feet off the posts.:cool:

IMG_0308.jpg

This is the second group shot at 1000. It measures 1.5" for 3 shots. I only had a light wind but the mirage was pretty bad. I got off the these 3 shots when the wind was practialy 0 and mirage was minimal.

IMG_0309.jpg

The upper group measures 4.5" for 4 shots. It is still under 1/2 moa. The wind was not enough to push those big 750s around but the mirage was pretty bad when that group was fired.

IMG_0310.jpg

It's been a while since I shot the big girl and I had almost forgot what she is capable of............ Hats of to Kirby for buidling such a great shooter.:)

Un- freaking- real!
I'm only about 4-5 hours from you, it would be worth a road trip to watch that big mama in action!

VERY nice!!!

Good shooting my friend. I do not shoot my 510 Allen Magnum all that much either but its always an EVENT when you take them out!!!!

The Converted AR-50s in 510 AM are not the most beautiful things in the world but they do what they are supposed to do, throw a BIG bullet and do it very accurately!!!

Again, congrats, extremely fine shooting.

Well hell, I did not know there was a video, had to go watch it, very well done!!!

I know where he can get himself one!!! :D

Fact I could ship him one out in the morning but its the sporter version not the heavy BR like you have.

Very nice!!

Sweet Rifle and very impressive performance. What is the max range that you have shot it at? What do you estimate the maximum effective range of the rifle?

Un- freaking- real!
I'm only about 4-5 hours from you, it would be worth a road trip to watch that big mama in action!

Sambo3006,
Come on down anytime and you can run a few down the tube.gun)Just don't expect me to be shooting 1 1/2" groups at 1000. 1/2 to 3/4 MOA I can usually manage with her, but I have to admit that group was a bit of good luck. The rifle can put them in there, but if I was good enough to do that everyday I would be traveling around giving those BR boys fits.:D Just shoot me a PM if you want to come out, bring your boomstick and we will sent a few down range at the gong.

Kirby,
Thanks! Like you said she is not a real looker, but she will shoot! She bites too...... On my second to the last shot I had my left hand tucked under the butt to squeeze my rear bag. The bottom of the pistol grip got me between the knuckle of my index and middle finger. I have knot about the size of a golf ball and can't close my hand. She really don't seem to kick that hard, but you still gotta give her a little respect.:cool:

bogger01,
I had forgotten about the video. That is a friend of mine, Tim Kirby from OK. He was visiting about a year ago and wanted to shoot the 50. He had a hoot as you can tell.

Sweet Rifle and very impressive performance. What is the max range that you have shot it at? What do you estimate the maximum effective range of the rifle?

I have shot it at paper at 1760 yards (1 mile). I have been able to shoot 10" to 12" groups at that range. I really don't know what the max effective range would be. I know there are snipers who have kills at 1.5 miles with the 50 BMG. With the load I am shooting it will go sub-sonic at about 2300 yards. That could probably be pushed out to 2500 as the load I am using is pretty mild.

I like how the huge scope on that thing looks like a 2-7 leupold! Hahaha I love it. I gotta try that big stuff sometime.

I just ran a google search for 510 Allen Magnum Video and it came up in the search.

OK, I did find the one linked above - but I ***Umed that since the original post mentioned going shooting today that the video would be from today too - not 8 months ago.

Sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts