50MM Vs. 56MM help me out

56 is great at dawn and dusk, in the mid day hours almost to much light. I love to hunt in the rain, so i would go with the 56. 50 works well all around the daylight hours, and may not get bumped around as much. I had to make my shooting house window bigger when I mounted up the 56. so maybe my 2cents will help you. Bill Maylor.

The only considerations with a 56mm objective it that the human is not used to those extra 6 mm. It is larger and takes a bit of getting used to. Pretty much like going from a 27" barrel to a 31 incher with a brake. It took awhile to not bang the brake on objects.

The other consideration is that higher mounts are most probably necessary which in turn may indicate the need for addition of a cheek piece.

Other than those two things I think it would be well worth the little extra to buy the little extra time at both ends of the day.

I have a 50 mm ziess on one LR rig but have gone with a 56mm on the next one.

After owning several 56's and then moving on to the 50's, I can honestly say I personally have no desire to ever go back to the 56's. Even 50 is a bit on the big side but IMHO, it is much less bulky and a tad lighter. It also affords the shooter is some situations to use lower rings which further reduce weight and keep a lower profile on the rifle.

As far as lighting, Either will offer MORE than enough light to make an ethical shot even before and after legal shooting hours in normal conditions. You may have to reduce the power to get the best light transmition. Both my 50mm NF and my 40mm Mark 4 have enough light capabilities to shoot a sheep at 12:01 AM on opening day which is a tad darker than 30 minutes after sun set in any of the lower 48 states.

BTW, I am not encouraging shooting game past or before legal shooting times. The point is that either will work at legal light. Up here we do not have restrictions on legal light. As long as we dont use night vision, if we can see it by natural light we can shoot it, regardless of when the sun set.

If you'll be carrying the weapon for any distance, I'd go 50mm. 56mm is just too much of a good thing for me, and even 50mm is pushing it. But I will use a 50mm if my options are limited by the scope brand and model I want to use.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.