50mm Objective on a Prairie dog scope

jwcrabb

You guys see any advantage of the larger 50mm objective(vs 40mm) when shooting PD's in good daylight? I've heard there is better resolution on the higher power settings. With my existing 40mm scopes I usually stay on 18X for most of the day. Just trying to decide to buy a 50 vs 40 in the same model scope(Leupold VX-3 6.5-20).

50mm objective lets in more light, and gives you a wider FOV (field of view). I prefer to run a 50-56 obj on all my scopes. My .22's and one of my .17 HMR's have 42's, but everything else has 50's-56's.

I can't see why you would not want to run a scope with an objective larger than 40mm, honestly?

On a Leupy 6.5-20, I'd go with the 50.

in my opinion you gain nothing at the expensive of having a scope mounted so high that its awkward to use with your cheek on the butstock like it should be. May be an advantage with the magnification gets about 12x in low light but most arent shooting far enough in low light to have a scope cranked up to 16x anyway. Field of view is usually a compromise between magnification, and eye relief. It has little to do with tube size or objective lense size. If it did id think that 1x4 scopes used for dangerous game hunting and brush hunting would use bigger then 20mm objectives. Spend your money on a 40mm scope with better lenses quality anyday over a 50mm in the same price range.For expample a varix3 leupold with a 40mm objective will usually outperform a varix2 with a 50mm or a nikon monarch with a 40 compared to a buckmaster with a 50. They can usually be bought a near the same prices and the monrarch and vx3 will usually resolve better have less distortion around the edges and do better even in low light due to there superior lens coatings.

I like the 50mm on pdog/varmint guns, mainly for the larger FOV, makes it easier to spot the "fringe" dogs hiding "just over there", and not everyone has a problem with the "cheek weld".

scopes objective size has nothing to do with field of view.

well, not much , (.8 ft on low power for 4.5x14 leupold) , but better light transmission equals better "small target" aiming. But, not all people's eyes are the same. I can "see" the difference, maybe some can't.

You guys see any advantage of the larger 50mm objective(vs 40mm) when shooting PD's in good daylight? I've heard there is better resolution on the higher power settings. With my existing 40mm scopes I usually stay on 18X for most of the day. Just trying to decide to buy a 50 vs 40 in the same model scope(Leupold VX-3 6.5-20).

Bottom line is no real advantage, but since a 50mm normally costs more $$ than the next size down..MAYBE that $$ can be spent for items that DO help out. Might be a different reticule...or ??

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.