50cal WSM

510 subsonic bullets

I swage as a hobby.

I make a .510 1E round nose rebated boat tail of around 900+ grains.

I also make a .510 6s spitzer rebated boat tail of around 800+ grains.

Does anyone have a test bed to compare the flight of the two?

I'm confident it will take a 10" twist or tighter to stabilize.

If someone can be tolerant of me taking a little while to swage some, I can send a few of each for testing with the understanding I'd expect results to be posted here.

wkinderknecht,
I would like to purchase some of those larger pills to try. Projectiles of this size is why I have such a fast twist barrel. The heaviest I've seen so far are lead cast in the 975 grain range.

Fred,
How long of a piece of barrel do you want? I'm sure you are aware the standard twist is 1-15". I have read that some guys are using this twist and getting good results with large projectiles at subsonic velocity.

Fred,
How long of a piece of barrel do you want? I'm sure you are aware the standard twist is 1-15". I have read that some guys are using this twist and getting good results with large projectiles at subsonic velocity.

16 plus a little bit so I can make it rifle legal. I'd take as long as I can get up to 21.

Lehigh wants a 10 twist for their fracturing subsonic. The claim a G1 of .884

16 plus a little bit so I can make it rifle legal. I'd take as long as I can get up to 21.

Lehigh wants a 10 twist for their fracturing subsonic. The claim a G1 of .884

I've used these to hunt deer and hogs with for a few years. They are devastating!

Might have a lead on a barrel for ya.

Attachments

• IMG_1582.jpg
    IMG_1582.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 88
I've used these to hunt deer and hogs with for a few years. They are devastating!

That's the little beasty. Put a barrel in a magnum long action and have magazine feed with no problems.

wkinderknecht,
I would like to purchase some of those larger pills to try. Projectiles of this size is why I have such a fast twist barrel. The heaviest I've seen so far are lead cast in the 975 grain range.

I won't accept any money for them. I'm not licensed to produce bullets for commercial sale.

PM me your mailing address, and I'll send you a few to try out.

I just ask that you let us know your barrel twist, velocity, and how they fly.

Ok,

• A 50 BMG dummy case with a Barns Long Range Bore rider about 0.100 longer than book.
  • A 50 WSM dummy case with a Barnes Long Range Bird rider. Same seating depth.
  • A 50 WSM case, trimmed to 2.1, 91.5 H2O capacity. These were actually made by cutting down 300 RUM cases and running the custom internal tapered expander. I measured the case wall thickness, tapered from 4.9 to 5.12 to straighten the outside of the case wall.
  • My tapered expander
  • My Paul Bycal "Wildcatters set back die" for magnum cases.
  • The expanders I made for necking up stuff that is bigger than what the Sinclair will do.
  • The set back bushings. I used these to make my first xx-Nosler wildcats from RUM brass.

Attachments

• 50cal WSM.jpg
    50cal WSM.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 77
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.