50BMG case capacity and pressure

co17

I'm going to work up some new loads for my 50BMG.
I will use IMI brass for most of my reloading but I also have some Igman and CBC brass.
I'm considering working up the loads with the IMI brass and when I find my max. load I will use this load as a pressure reference in Quickload.
I will then change the case capacity in QL to that of the other brass and adjust the charge weight until I get the same pressure as with my reference load.

Will this be a safe practice or do I have to work up the loads with the other brass as well?

Best way to check max pressure with your 50BMG, when you fire a round, rechamber that fired case and if there is any noticable resistance when you close the bolt, your to high in pressure.

The 50 BMG is designed for 50-55K PSI. As such, if your loading hot enough to expand the case enough it will not rechamber easily, your loading to hot.

Is this the max performance the 50 can get, certainly not, but this is where its designed to be loaded to and generally shoots the best in this range as well.

Kirby Allen(50)

When I have determined the max. pressure with one brand of brass, will it be safe to calculate the powder charge in QL for another brand based on case capacity as I described in my previous post?

With QL calibrated to your powder from measured capacities of brandX, If you measure the case capacities of brands ABC, it will be very close -provided there are NO other changes.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.