500yrd best bullet

I agree the barnes would be the best with the 338 win mag and his purpose. But he said he must look at the sst or accubond only. Price wise the 225 sst will do anything he wants out of the 338 win mag to 500 yards with the least expense.

My personal 338 win mag is a tikka t-3 light and shoots the 185 barnes ttsx at 3300 fps. BC is around .44 or so. This load will knock anything in north america flat to 500 yards. You can go lighter with the barnes because they retain all of their weight and have deeper penetration. Performance wise this is the best combination I have found for shooting out to 600 yards with the 338 win mag.

In the past Barnes bullets were known for two things. Guaranteed the best performance on game and the worst accuracy in the business. Basically you couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with them from inside the barn. Then a few years ago they learned to cut those pretty little grooves in the bullet. Now they are as accurate as any big game bullet on the market while retaining there hold on the best performance on big game. Also with the grooves and excellent cleaning agents on the market now copper fouling is no longer an issue. Another thing I love about the Barnes bullets is you do not have to seperate your bullets by weight which is a time consuming issue. All others, even the match bullets, must be weighed individually and seperated by weight for top accuracy. Every Barnes bullet in the box will be virtually identical in weight. I end up throwing several bullets away out of each box with most manufactures because they are just to far outside the norm. BC's are slightly lower for the Barnes but I am a hunter and not a target shooter. I want performance on game the #1 issue. Barnes are #1 in that respect. Then I work up accurate loads for those bullets. 95+% of my hunting is inside a half mile and the Barnes BC's are adequate inside that range. A couple extra clicks or in my case with a mil dot scope the BC difference is just not an issue for me. If I want to go beyond a half mile I have 338-378's launching 300 grain smk's at 3050 fps that will kill stuff at a mile.

I have loads for Barnes bullets in all the calibers I shoot and most of my rifles will put five shots into 2" at 400 yards with those loads. That is good enough for hunting accuracy.

Thanks for mentioning the Barnes bullets. It seems on here now most people are just looking at BC's and ballistic charts. There is so much more to it than that. The bullet must perform perfectly on every shot to be 100% succesful. There will be a certain percentage of long sick faces when you just look at the ballistics side of hunting. It takes a lot of experience to know what kills stuff best. Then you find the best flying bullets around that criteria.

Im open to every sudjestion on bullet.

For the barnes bullets most guy at the range told my the problem is a lack of blood trail. Lung are my target so that kind worry me a little. For shoulder shoot it a other story....

Low pricing is good for pratice but i whant the best for hunting price dont matther.
So much time to get at shooting distance of a game and puting cheap stuf on ammo dont fit in my mind.

First of all, the Barnes TSX retains nearly 100% of its weight and generally opens to twice its diameter. That's on hell of a wound channel! Secondly, given the lighter weight of their bullets (lead vs. copper), they tend to have a slightly higher muzzle velocity than same-length, lead bullets. Add number 1 and 2 together and you generally get pass-through shots with gaping exit wounds. I would never call another hunters experience into question, but for me - blood trail has never been an issue. The target is usually down within a few yards of where it was shot. Now.....if I could just get them to group out of my 6.5-06 AI

Blood trail will not be a problem with the 185 ttsx Barnes . When it doubles its caliber on exit it will blow most of the lungs out the exit hole making a pretty big mess. I told you what I shoot in mine and that comes from a lot of experience. 3.5" high at 100 and you are point blank range to over 400 yards. A mil dot scope and 600 yards is trivial. The most power with the least recoil you will see in a 338 win mag. Excellent quality bullet you will not beat. There are many options but the 185 has the integrity, BC, velocity, pass through ability and flat trajectory to be about as good as you can do at your 500 yards with a 338 win mag.

The longest shot I have made on a moose with a 338 win mag was 1100 yards. You will have no problem at 500.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.