500 yard load for 223 rem 1 in 9 twist

tommy davis

I HAD A BUCH OF PEOPLE RECOMEND THIS SITE FOR THIS ?? WHAT WOULD BE THE PERFECT 500 YARD LOAD FOR A 223 REM I REALLY GOING TO TRY HARD FOR THE 500 YARD CLUB SO SOME HELP WOULD BE AWSOME!!! THE RIFLE I HAVE IS A SAVAGE 10 FP HEAVY BARREL WITH A 1 IN 9 TWIST . IAM THINKING FOR THE BULLET CHOICE 75GR AMAX ARE THE 69GR MK SOUND GOOD ARE NO? BRASS WOULD BE FEDERAL GOLD MEDAL MATCH POWDER H322 ARE RELOADERS 15 ARE H335 SOUND ABOT RIGHT ARE NO AND NOW FOR PRIMERS I HAVE NO IDEA MAY BE CCI 400 OR YOU GUYS HAVE A BETTER IDEA????

Tommy,
I have the same rifle you do and it likes Varget and the 75gr AMAX. The Hodgdens book calls for a max of 23.5grs and I shoot 22-23. 23 grs yields 2700+ fps and 5 shot groups of 5" at 600yds. I used WSR and F205M primers, both work good. Also Win brass.
Have fun,
Wayne

I'm using an AR in .223 AI, with the 69 gr. Nosler Match at around 3100 with AA2520. I can't remember the load now-- i'm at work. This load is pretty explosive on coyotes to at least 550 (the longest shot so far). I'm using the 4.5-14X Burris Fullfield with Ballsitic Plex reticle.

Right now I have an old Tasco 6x24x44 Target scope w/fine cross hairs and a dot on it because I took the Burris Signature 8x32x44 Target w/fine duplex off to try on another rifle. There is no comparison, can't wait to put the Burris back on!
Also, as a side note I bought a Savage laminated stock from Sharp Shooter Supply for $125, much better than the flimsy plastic one it comes with.

Tommy,
The 223 will easily make varmint kills out to 500yds. Your best bet would be to find the most accurate bullet regardless of weight and shoot for the record on a windless day. If that bullet is a 69-75gr bullet than you may have the best of both worlds.
This past groundhog season, I shot a few small groundhog pups @ 400yds with a .221 and a Nosler 40gr B-Tip. Naturally, I only use this set-up when the wind is down. When I had this rifle built, I figured that it would only be good out to 250yds or so. However it easily groups .5" @ 100yds and about 3" @ 400yds when there is little wind. I only have a Leupold 3X9 Compact scope on this rig and that is plenty for 400yd shots. Although, I did have Premier Reticle put 3 tiny aiming dots on the verticle crosshair.
For your first shot at getting into the 500yd Club, pick your days. Good luck.
VH

Tommy,
I also shoot the 223 in a savage 1 in 9 twist. I have had the best performance with a hornady 68gr match bullet, 23.5gr of varget and a Federal Gold Medal Match primer. I am using Lapua brass. In my rifle this load is good for well beyond 500 yards on varmints. I agree with everyone else, pick the right day to get into the 500 yard club. It's also a good idea to shoot the bad days too.

Tommy I have a Savage10fp in 223rem with 1-9 twist,that shoots 75Gr.BTHP Hornaday Moly match,with21.0Gr's of AA-2200 at 100yd's in the .1's &.2's one hole 3 shot group's. At 500yd's my best groups average 1.750"Also 68Gr HDY Match loaded with 24Gr's ofIMR4895 shoot about the same degree of auccuracy.I use Win. cases & Rem.#7.5 Benchrest primers.
grin.gif
Code:

Tommy- I had trouble stabilizing the 75gr Amax in a 1:9 Twist! I have shot the 75gr Hornady BTHP match and the Hornady 68Gr BTHP match with good success. I actually like the 68gr match better because I can hit deer in the head out to 500yds. I use 25.6 grains of BLC-2 and a CCI450 primer. For the brass Winchester is hard to beat. Good Luck!!!

Tommy as an add on H335 and the 450primer in the Winchester brass for the 50-55gr bullets
is a very good combo for the lighter bullets. I had super success with the 52grBTHP match Hornady and the 52grAmax. I use the heavier bullets because I just load one type of round for chucks and deer. My friends and I have used the 52grBTHP, the 52gr Amax and the 55gr Vmax for deer permits.
They use these lighter bullets in their Remingtons with a 1:12 twist where I use them in areas that are populated and may have to worry about houses in the distance.

I'm using an AR in .223 AI, with the 69 gr. Nosler Match at around 3100 with AA2520. I can't remember the load now-- i'm at work. This load is pretty explosive on coyotes to at least 550 (the longest shot so far). I'm using the 4.5-14X Burris Fullfield with Ballsitic Plex reticle.
what is the twist rate on your ar.

Tommy,
I also shoot the 223 in a savage 1 in 9 twist. I have had the best performance with a hornady 68gr match bullet, 23.5gr of varget and a Federal Gold Medal Match primer. I am using Lapua brass. In my rifle this load is good for well beyond 500 yards on varmints. I agree with everyone else, pick the right day to get into the 500 yard club. It's also a good idea to shoot the bad days too.
what is the barrel lenth

500 yd 223 pd kills are pretty easy after you do it once. Wind is a big factor. Kinda like the 4 min mile. I set up claybirds at 500 and practice on them. I use 55 vmax most of the time.
My first kill for the now defunct VHA 500 yd club was with a 75 Amax in a 9 twist.