500 round update LSR

D.P.

500 rounds down the Broughton tube easy to clean and it picked up a few fps. The rifle action is slick as can be.
Just been sitting back listening to the 6.5 chatter and takeing notes. So I figured it was time to try a few things / new loads.
H4831 has been great but causes flyers
H4350 is great but hits pressure early
R-22 temp sensitive? dirty? who cares it shoots!
The gun was built to be a tough tactical 1/2 MOA gun. Then it started. I only have a local 200 yard range so I got a little nuts seeing how good it could shoot.
With the last loads the gun has held 1/2 MOA or better at 200yards for the last 30 rounds, with cold and clean thrown in also.
Ric will post pics.

Hi Rimfire,
I noticed the same pressure problem with H4350 last week whilst trying to get a 185grn Scenar to do 3000fps out of my 24" 300wsm.

A mid range charge of 62.5grns gave 2850fps with no pressure signs but a 1 grain increase had me knocking the bolt up with a rubber mallet. Sierra's max charge was 66grns.

A switch to 70grns of RE 22 eliminated the pressure problems but no increase in velocity.
71grns took the velocity up to an average of 2894fps again without any pressure signs but at this point the experiment was abandoned as a 71.5 grn charge was starting to travel up the case neck.

Acuracy with the lesser load of H4350 was sub 1/2 moa as was the 63.5grn load.
Acuracy with RE 22 went off to 3/4 to 1 1/4 moa for five 5 shot groups, maybe in my gun this cartridge works at its best on or very close to maximum pressure.

A compressed load of 72.5grns RE 22 had 155grn Scenars travelling at 3190fps with no signs of pressure but again poor accuracy in the 1 to 1 1/4 moa bracket.

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Hey Rimfire...Great post. I've stuck with the H4831 so far. Not sure I'm brave enough to try a different powder. I think I have some R-22 handy as well as the 4350. Who knows. I might load some up and bring them to PA??

Still going?

Joe

1003.jpg

1002.jpg

OK Ric

How bout some details on the r-22 loads...Any special caase prep? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I cant read the notes you wrote on the targets.

I assume this is a 6.5-284 from the man right?

Joe

Ok

I'm an idiot. I just realized Ric was posting the pics for Rimfire. Slap me now! Take me out to the woodshed!!

Awesome groups Rimfire.

Thanks for the email on the specs

Joe

I hope you went higher than 47gn of h4350 before giving up on it!

Joe -- stick with 4831sc, just keep an eye on carbon fouliung! If your velocities and pressures start climbing for no reason, you have carbon!

JB

alg,
I have not tried any bullets heavier then the 185 Lapua Scenar in my 300WSM, because for target shooting it is an excellent bullet and does everything i want it to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

However, i do not see why heavier bullets seated to suit the chamber should be a problem, provided you load them singularly.
Use the search mode and look for my thread under the heading of "LRH Rifle Build Info& Help"

Ian.

"I mean't to shoot the pike but the duck got in the way"

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.