.50 cal rated scopes

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by thequickad, Dec 10, 2003.

1. thequickad

thequickad Well-Known Member

I am looking at IOR scopes and one item keeps jumping out of their advertisement is .50 cal rated. I have not seen any other scope manufactures made that claim other than some mentioning that Leupold Mark 4s are also .50 cal rated. Does this mean that other scope manufactures are not willing to put .50 cal rated on their products? [​IMG]

[ 12-10-2003: Message edited by: thequickad ]

2. thequickad

thequickad Well-Known Member

3. DANTEC

DANTEC Well-Known Member

50 cal recoil is not terrific at all most light rifle have more recoil as 378 Wea for example or 375 Ultra than big fifty with good brake .

Shooting fifty is not a rodeo excpet in dream of "in the chair front of the TV shooters ...)

I agree that leupold or IOR are very strong under recoil IF scope ring and mount are in top class quality that far easy to destroy a scope ( costly ) with poor mounting stuff

Good shooting

DAN TEC

4. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

NF, Leupold mk4 are 50 cal rated and while springfield armory claims their scopes are 50 cal shock proof, I have rattled 2, not 1 but 2 of them apart internaly on a heavy 308 win shooting not so high kicking loads.

5. ace

ace Member

I have a leupold 6.5-20x50 lr on my 50. It has 200+ rounds through it and it is still shooting .3 moa groups. I had call leupold and they said that any of their scopes with 30mm tubes will hold up to the 50s recoil.

6. Jim Maloney

Jim Maloney Well-Known Member

Don't over look the fact that IOR has a rich back ground in military optics. IOR's have been atop a lot of .50's, and not just for punching holes in paper.

Jim

7. Dave King

Dave King Well-Known Member

The NightForce NXS 5.5 x 22 is a 50 cal. scope as I recall...apparently built specifically for a 50 cal. application.

8. DMCI

DMCI Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting question. For the fun of it, let me show you one of my favorite pictures. See how many of the rifles and scopes you can identify:

[​IMG]