50 Cal Questions

rost495

Hi

I have a bad urge again. I can get an armalite 50 cal at a "reasonable" price new. I really wanted a Barrett 99 as I've shot a few of them with good results. Not fond of Armalite at all BUT money talks.

I'm not sure this is even the place to post, but whats available thats not junk, and at what cost? I"m only familiar with Barret and have seen the armalites.

Thanks for your time.

Jeff

I would say from the rifles I have shot, the Barrett 99s and the Armalite AR-50 would be in the same class as far as accuracy is concerned. With a factory AR-50, the ones I have shot and the one I currently own have very long throats. With the 750 gr A-Max its easy to seat the bullets out to touch the lands so this is really not an issue and accuracy is generally extremely good with taylored hand loads as it is for the Barrett 99s as well.

I will say that the AR-50 uses a Rem 700 style trigger. You know what that means. Mine had a 1.5-3 lb Rifles Basix trigger in it 15 minutes after it was delievered by UPS. This is not an option with the Barrett and while they can be tuned up quite a bit, their triggers will never compete with a Rem 700 style match trigger.

I also feel the stock bedding design of the AR is superior to that of the Barrett 99 but it does not seem to make ALOT of difference on target.

If you want a full length 50 cal. BY that I mean full length action, either one of these would work. Personally I chose the AR-50 because its a conventional bolt action design, has an adjustable cheek piece, adjustable recoil pad for height and is the easiest shooting 30-35 lb 50 BMG on the market.

Loud, but very easy shooting. The Barrett 99 is also easy to shoot but not quite as comfortable as the AR-50 with its HUGE brake. Its ugly as hell until you shoot one and then it starts looking a little nicer.

I have been tempted for a long time to send my receiver off to McMillan and see if they could inlet their 50LBR stock for the AR-50 receiver. That would really make a slick looking package.

Its is ugly but it is also functional and easy to shoot. For the money you will be hard pressed to get a barrel 50 BMG that is a full length receiver.

Most importantly, get set up to reload for it, that is critical for top accuracy.

If your going to get one, better get one soon. It will not be long before they are outlawed. As Kalifornia goes, so eventually does the rest of the country most often. If you already have one, you should be grandfathered in.

The AR-50 also has an optional 50 moa scope rail base available for shooting out to 2000 yards as well.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.