50 bmg suppressor for a 458?

460or338

Cod you mount a 50 bmg can on a 458 loft or 460 wby? I know people somtimes use 308 cans on 223,s. And they work great. I was looking at the elite iron alpha. I can't buy a suppressor for 3 yrs though. But I like talking to y'all so I figured id ask here. Oh secondary question. Is 386" of bullet drop to much for 1k shooting?

In theory, the answer is yes. A .50 cal supressor would/could be effective when used on a .45 cal weapon. However, I would double check with the manufacturer to make sure. Do you know for sure that it is a 50 BMG can and not a 50 S & W can? Some cans that are made specifically for handgun bullets will not hold up well at rifle pressures. The most common examples would be the purchase of a 9mm (.355) can and then using it on a 300 RUM (.308); or a .22 cal supressor made for rimfire pistol or rifle and then using it on a 5.56 Nato rifle. Quite often, cans made for pistol calibers end up costing less than the rifle counterpart and provide a tempting low-cost alternative. Some will hold up well, while others will not. Given the cost of a quality can, plus the cost of the transfer and stamp, I would not want to run the risk of destroying the can (or voiding the warranty). Again, the manufacturer will know.

Regarding your question on drop: 1 MOA = 1" @ 100 yds. and 10" @ 1,000 yds. So, if my math is correct - you would need 38.6 MOA of dia- up to hit your target at 1,000 yds. This means that you would need a scope with a 76.2 MOA in total travel. This is a tall order for a 1" scope, although I suspect there are a few out there. To be sure you have the capacity, you would need to mount the 1" scope on a 20 MOA rail. Or simply go with a quality 30mm tube. Read the specs on the scope you intend to use. Give yourself another 10 MOA cushion as ballistics and real life results don't always mesh. I have often found I need a few more clicks over my computer generated drop tables to actual hit the target at longer distances. Good Luck.

Last edited:
From what I read on their site, their 50 BMG supressor would work fine on either of your 45 cal. rifle choices. Pressure would not be an issue and the 45 is close enough to the 50 in diameter to be fairly effective in supressing sound.

Two things to keep in mind:

First: A 4 lb. supress is very heavy. You probably won't feel it too much on a 50 BMG rifle with a 1.25" barrel with the whole rig weighing 30+ lbs. But if your rifle (458 Lott or 460 Weatherby) rifle is in the 12-15 lb. range, then the supressor will feel like a ton of bricks hanging out there. The entire balance of the rifle would shift. Depending on the length of the barrel, your fulcrum point could well be forward of the forearm/bipod.

Second: A supressor can drastically reduce the blast/noise created by the explosion of gunpowder. However, it has no impact on the noise a bullet makes when it tears through the sound barrier (1040 - 1080 fps - depending on elevation & weather conditions). A supressed weapon shooting suopersonic projectiles still makes a loud "crack".

From what others have told me, the benefits of shooting supersonic rounds through a suspressed rifle are: 1) the supressor tends to mask the directional sound of the bullet (making it harder to pinpoint where the shooter is) and 2) the supressor helps to increase accuracy by acting like a muzzle breake and by taking away the concussive blast of large calibers that often result in a bad flinch.

If you decide to go this route, make sure you get back to all of us with a report on how things worked out for you.

Yeah but I doubt id ever load subzonic ammo.plus from iirc the weight of a suppressor is what reduces recoil .? . Also like you said with supersonic rounds it throws the crackle down range. I seen where a guy said using a supprezzor for hog hunting they would run in his direction because they thought the shot came from behind them.also a I don't think the muzzle he's y would bother me to much

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.