.50 BMG style muzzle brakes

locotrician

Invisible
The claims by some of the manufacturers that build the .50 cal and other even larger rifles claim that with the style brake they are using the felt recoil is comparable to something like a .243 to a .270. My question is are they really that good(i understand that these rifles are also very heavy and that has a lot to do with the recoil as well) and if so are they all custom to the individual company making the rifle or are they available for purchase and if so who sells them and do you think they are worth the size VS. the other more standard style brakes? Thanks for your input , it is appreciated

I think that Armalite makes the best brake out their for the 50's but its huge and ugly. Basicaly all of the better brakes for the 50BMG are just baffel brakes , the bigger the ports and baffels the better the recoil reduction , but alot of the big 50 brake angle the ports back toward the shooter so that the gas doesn't go out to the side but actluay backwards causeing the gun to actualy be dragged back forward , this is the reason for needing a realy tough scope on them , ironicaly spring piston air rifles need the same scopes quality.

I have shot the AR-50 from Armalite and the recoil is not bad at all maybe like a 270 or 30-06 , I've also shot a Barret , Cobb , Robar and some cheap piece of crap. The cobb kicked like the Armalite , the Robar RC-50 kicked about like a mild 12 load , the barret kicked like a 3" mag 12ga and the cheap rifle kicked like a mules !!
The brake on the Robar RC-50 doesn't look to impressive its not much bigger than the barrel and is just a "gill" style brake , I was prepairing for a nasty kick but it works very well.

Nathan Dagley makes some great brakes as does Shawn Carlock and Kirby Allen , thesize of the brake is kinda relitive to the round and the rifle , a realy light weight 338 Snipe-Tac is gonna need a bigger brake with more baffels but a 243 doesn't need much at all.

Anzio Ironworks makes a 9.9 lb BMG. They list recoil "feels like this" for their heavier rifles, but this one is strangely absent...

I have a Barrett 95 and yes is does weight 30 lbs, but it kicks less than my Howa 1500 in 270 win. It is a pleasure to shoot from a recoil point of view, but from a concusion point of view it is not that fun. I really feel a burn in my nose the first time firing it after not shooting it for a couple weeks. I think you end up blowing out your sinuses the first couple of firings and then there is no more issue.

SES50

Muzzle Brakes

Yes weight does make a huge difference in felt recoil.

The very best brakes can only reduce recoil by 50 to 55% so
do the math, When some one tells me it kicks like a 270 my first
question is how heavy is the 270.

''Example''
Take a 7 lb 270 and load the 150gr at 2800 ft/sec and you get
23.5 ft/lbs of recoil and 14.7 ft/sec of recoil velocity.

Same load in a 14 lb 270 and you get 11.8 ft/lbs of recoil and
7.4 ft/sec of recoil velocity.

So if you double the weight of the rifle you cut the recoil by 50%.

Feet /Pounds of recoil is the energy produced by the rifle/load
combination.

Recoil velocity is how fast the weapon moves backwards, some
call this "Felt Recoil".

I personally dont like muzzel brakes so most of my rifles are
8.5lbs to 14lbs

My 13 lb 416 BUFF pushes a 400gr bullet at 2600ft/sec for
a recoil of 57 ft/lbs and recoil velocity of 16.8ft/sec, If you
reduced the weight to 8.0 lbs the ft/lbs of energy would
be 92.7 ft/lbs and a recoil velocityof 27.3 ft/sec.(Very Nasty).

A 37lb 50 cal will produce about 83 ft/lbs of recoil with no brake
so if you install one that reduces 50% recoil is only 41 to 42 ft/lbs.

J E CUSTOM

JE,

You through out a bunch of numbers here that are very interesting. I there an equation you are using to find these numbers or is it a program? If it is an equation can you post it?

Thanks
SES50

Yes weight does make a huge difference in felt recoil.

The very best brakes can only reduce recoil by 50 to 55% so
do the math, When some one tells me it kicks like a 270 my first
question is how heavy is the 270.

''Example''
Take a 7 lb 270 and load the 150gr at 2800 ft/sec and you get
23.5 ft/lbs of recoil and 14.7 ft/sec of recoil velocity.

Same load in a 14 lb 270 and you get 11.8 ft/lbs of recoil and
7.4 ft/sec of recoil velocity.

So if you double the weight of the rifle you cut the recoil by 50%.

Feet /Pounds of recoil is the energy produced by the rifle/load
combination.

Recoil velocity is how fast the weapon moves backwards, some
call this "Felt Recoil".

I personally dont like muzzel brakes so most of my rifles are
8.5lbs to 14lbs

My 13 lb 416 BUFF pushes a 400gr bullet at 2600ft/sec for
a recoil of 57 ft/lbs and recoil velocity of 16.8ft/sec, If you
reduced the weight to 8.0 lbs the ft/lbs of energy would
be 92.7 ft/lbs and a recoil velocityof 27.3 ft/sec.(Very Nasty).

A 37lb 50 cal will produce about 83 ft/lbs of recoil with no brake
so if you install one that reduces 50% recoil is only 41 to 42 ft/lbs.

J E CUSTOM

the weight of the gun/felt recoil is not exactly a by the numbers thing with the good baffle style of brakes. with a baffle style of brake, the felt recoil of a 15 lb gun is about the same as one weighing around 12 lbs, all things being equal. reason being the baffles actually push the gun forward and the lighter the gun the more push, away from the shoulder you get. this is why you'll tear up scopes that don't have the lenses retained in both directions, as was mentioned earlier.

My intent was to buy just the brake and place it on a rifle thats not a .50 hoping for a better reduction in recoil over the standard style.

Breaks

SES

I use the JBM Calculations on line.

They are very accurate and much easier than using
formulas.

J E CUSTOM

I know...Old Thread.....my shooting buddy just bought a Barrett M99 416 and recoil is nothing....kicks no more than a 243, if that.....

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.