5 Secrets To A Successful Elk Hunt By Doug Rellstab

Luckily I always archery hunt for elk! So I get first shot at them and get to hunt them in the rut. I had some good success with some decent bulls, but I really want my Wenaha tag! only a few more years (hopefully).

SSSSSSSSSHHHHHH! Its a super secret place...............:D
I wish you luck on drawing your tag soon. If I had the patience to hunt somewhere else for the next 20 years Id put in for it too.

Hey Doug,

Great article on elk hunting, it is addicting!! I just found out a week or so ago that I drew a tag in a great unit in southern NM. It is pretty open high desert country.........lots of opportunities for long range shooting!

I used to live in Pinedale as well. Are you familiar with Black Butte, out HWY 52 toward the upper Green? I built the house that is 2/3 of the way up the butte 10 years or so ago. We moved back to Arkansas a few years ago for family reasons. I really miss Pinedale and hiking and hunting in the Wind Rivers. Maybe I will make it back out for a visit later this summer. Do you ever hunt with Mark Kroeger or Chopper?

Thanks again for the article, it got me fired up even more for elk season!!!

Rick

Hey Rick,

Sorry it took so long to respond-just geared up with work after very long lay off. So I haven't had much spare time lately.

Yeah I hunt with Chopper, we did an outrageous pheasant hunt a while back. His daughter and mine are like sisters and his Wife and mine are crazy good buddies. Mark does the archery club here which I would join and do the 3-D if time allowed. I don't know Black Butte personally but I do get that way from time to time, I hit Tim Singwald's big summer shindig every time he throws that down. Yeah it's a great place to live. Thanks for reading my article.

Doug

Unfortunately I once again drew a g00se egg for Elk tags this year, so Ill be hunting very tired and very pressured elk, the second season with the rest of the left over crowd. On the bright side I just added another preferance point for next years draw. But storys like these help keep the fire lit untill then. Thank you.

Glad you liked the article, it was my first attempt at writing something to be published-it's is a long way from what my Geology department head said after reading my term paper 35 years ago, and I quote: "How in the hell did you get this far"

Hey just to keep that fire lit, just get out in the woods this summer and spend some time with the elk. And during second season you might be surprised-check out the some of the overlooked patches.

This forumn of Len's has really helped me go from just chuckin lead for giggles and meat to chuckin really expensive lead for giggles and meat. And loving every minute of it. Got my new scope on my rechambered recrowned barrel and whole lot new gadgets on the reloading table. And best of all my new benchrest 1000 yd rifle is coming soon.

Thanks

Doug

Doug,

Thanks for responding. Next time you run into Mark or Chopper tell them Rick Marsh said HI. I will be in Pinedale for 2 or 3 days toward the end of the month and will check in with them both. Maybe if schedules match up one of them can get us together and make introductions.

I miss fishing the Green and New Fork and hope to spend a day or two on the water with my fly rod while I am there, and maybe shoot a few p-dogs too!

Keep up the articles, I will watch out for more from you.

Rick

Great read I plan on going on my 1st Elk hunt next year.I am reading everything .I can get my hands on.I will do a guided hunt 1st.Then I plan on do it yourself hunts.Thanx for the info.Rick

Good write up, and nice article.
Small short stories with enough detail to get the point accross, but not so much detail that one quits using his imagination, are what realy makes this story great IMO. Very relatable storys, and dead on with facts, such as holding still when spotted, and elk appearing out of nowhere from where you were just looking.
Unfortunately I once again drew a g00se egg for Elk tags this year, so Ill be hunting very tired and very pressured elk, the second season with the rest of the left over crowd. On the bright side I just added another preferance point for next years draw. But storys like these help keep the fire lit untill then. Thank you.

+1

2ppdbnb.jpg
Now! That's steep!!! :D ORIGINAL =

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.