5/8" muzzle brake thread for .338 edge???

motrophyhunter

Looking to have a .338 edge built for mainly hunting purposes for big game at significant ranges. I guess my dilemma is getting a accurate long range rifle in a fairly light weight package. I have been told by a few gunsmiths they would not recommend using a 5/8" thread on a .338 edge thus suggesting going to a heavier barrel so a 3/4" threaded brake could be used. Any suggestions or experience on this topic would be helpful.

I have a 5/8 thread on a 338 Lapua.. Never had the first problem. I think that is the standard thread for the "Fat-Bastard" brake, which is whats on my rifle.

It's a 5/8-24 to be exact.

The 5/8 x 24 is a standard thread for a 338 with a barrel dia. at the muzzle of .800+

Because it leaves you with plenty of barrel around the .338 hole for strength.

It will be plenty and the brake of your choice will come with a 5/8 ths of smaller
11/16 ths thread most of the time.

Talk to the break makers and tell them your barrel size and they will recomend the size
and thread they would use.

J E CUSTOM

I just put a Holland Quick Discharge 5/8" x 28 tpi on my .340. The brake had to be transitioned down to the .665" diameter at the barrel shoulder. That's not much of a heel, but it makes up hard and has full thread engagement. Works great, and looks O.K. too. A 9/16" dia thread would have given me a wider shoulder and thicker heel, but I like the bigger 5/8" thread. Leaves more meat around the bore.

I have a homemade brake on my .338 x .378 that is threaded 11/16" x 24 tpi, but the barrel shoulder is .880" dia, and the brake is 1.00" O.D. Works great and looks GOOD.

Tom

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.