5.56 LC brass prep Question

ElkSurgeon

Hey guys I was wondering if you can help answer my question. I'm about to dive into an extensive brass preparation endeavor. Got all my LC 5.56 separated from .223 rem about 3,000 brass total. Got my sizer dialed, seater & crimper is dialed. Got my neck trimmer dialed as well. I'm ready to start my process but my only hesitation is swagging the primer pockets. I have the RCBS PP Swagger 2 that I'm planning on using. As I'm inspecting cases it seems that most of LC 5.56 military crimp has been removed already previously. I'm not finding any crimp on the .223 brass either. As much time as I'm going to spend on this process I do not want to skip a quick process which would be to run brass through my Swagger regardless just to make sure I have a nice uniform primer pocket……So my question is; Am I going to overstress my brass by swaggering the primer pockets a second time even if they've already been done previously before I had them in my possession…??
EFFC1245-F658-4082-A300-8319564009D1.jpeg

Has anyone seen 5.56 brass primer pocket expansion resulting in failure to securely install a primer/loose primer
No, and I use the same equipment you have there. I just did 300 Lake City 556 cases last month. The crimp was not very easily seen but you will see the case stick down on the swage remover if they have not already had it removed.

No, and I use the same equipment you have there. I just did 300 Lake City 556 cases last month. The crimp was not very easily seen but you will see the case stick down on the swage remover if they have not already had it removed.
Swagged a few cases tonight, all of them stuck solid after swage as you mentioned…..primed all 7 of them & primers seated snug & fit….. I'm feeling a lot better now, tried both .223 & 5.56, same results……I'm just wanting to be extremely cautious with all this brass & not create any issues

first of all ditch the RCBS swagger, it doesn't do a good job, Dillion swager won't break the bank. How are you gonna stress the brass if swaging has already been done? Try priming a few to see if they need a better swaging.

Swage them. You can't hurt the brass. But you CAN waste a bunch of primers trying to get them in brass that has any crimp of the primet pocket remaining, and with cost and scarcity of primers these days, that would he a terrible waste.

Your RCBS swager is fine. You don't need to buy a Dillon. I have a Dillon so I'm not hating on them. I just dislike when someone has a functional product already and someone else recommends they go spend money they don't need to spend.